Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracks and wheels
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi i have been trying to get a international td18 petrol start diesel run 12volt crawler going multiple issues.....its not mine but offered to help a mate
1 manifold butterflys are seized
2 carb pores fuel every where
3 some one converted the magneto to points
4 slow to crank .....
i can fix most of the problems i think the mag is out of timing as well
So my question is can i put a 24v starter motor and alternator on to this and just start it with out using the petrol side just delete it all together and if so where can i get my grubby mits on one

hector gemme
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These INTERNATIONAL need to start on gas before diesel because the heads will cracked

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That starter that is on it can be built to 24 v or some of the older tractors had 24 v starter that will fit. Like Hector said MOST folks that have tried you suggestions have found it not to be satisfactory for a host of reasons the biggest is just like he says if you add enough either to start the beast won,t be long till you have a cracked head if it does not already. Short-coming of those engines was the head problem. Seems most of the folks on this side of the pond used to pull start the beast once they gave up on the gas start. Good running td IH engines are getting hard to come-by.

Tracks and wheels
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the reply i was thinking that the gas side is there to help in the cold but over here in Australia we don't get that extream cold shaw may be a zero deg c but buggered if I'd be out playing untill it warmed up a bit. So back playing with the gas side thanks for the advice

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are handy with a wrench fix the butterflys,fix the carb leak,its probably the needle not seating or the float is sticking,clean the carb,the mag should have points solid state was not invented when that old girl was made,the starter will turn slow if its in diesel run mode,it should be started as the other guys said otherwise you will be looking for a head.
AJ

Tracks and wheels
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ. wrote:
(thanks for the help guyes yes bugger on having to fix the petrol side i am able to fix that side hopfully ...but just seems more things to go wrong but if i dont its going cause me more dramer so ill pull her apart and start soaking stuff reply to post at 18:44:28 11/27/1Cool

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Td18a Convert to 24v from 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no, just fix things properly as they start on gas first! they are not hard starting.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters