Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

alt charging problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hi folks, new to forum. me: retired master diesel, gas, truck, heavy equipment and marine mec. my friend has a charge problem /JCB 2006 1004-4t 4cyl perkins not charging. ok new alt. key on no charge lite on. vom batt volt at alt 12+-- 7.50 volt at yellow spade plug in--- .6 volt at yellow ring wire att. checked fuse panel found 15 amp fuse bad--replaced. double checked engine to frame ground. still no charge. took alt to shop tested 14.5 volt output. these are strange tractors!!

Wisconsin Cowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the charge light bulb good? If the bulb is bad the alternator won?t
charge.

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wisconsin cowman wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:25:51 12/14/1Cool Is the charge light bulb good? If the bulb is bad the alternator won?t
charge.

I can only say yes as the red battery light comes on when key is in on and does not go out when engine is running. is it possible the light could be weak and not charging? my friend said the light has for a while been (when opr.) going off and on.

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off to stop repeating every reply that's made clear the box of all type before you type your reply,the red light is not going out,is the battery is going flat?,has the machine a volt meter?,you say the voltage at the alternator is 12v +,start the engine with the volt meter connected to the main cable of the alternator and a good clean ground go to 1/2 throttle and check the volt meter it should read 14 volts or more, if not stop the engine and remove the wire from the warning light terminal usually its marked WL,switch on the key the red light should be out,use a 12v test lamp,connect one end to 12v and the other end to the WL terminal,the lamp will light,start the engine,the light should go out and the volt meter raise to 14 or more volts if the alternator is good,if the light does not go out and the voltage does not raise the alternator has an issue,if the light does go out and the voltage go up then there is an issue with the warning light wire grounding,see how those few tests goes and come back.
AJ

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first of all are you going just by the charging light. did you put a meter on your battery then start it and see if it increases. you may just have a connection problem with your red light.

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes pinball i have and used a vom everywhere. we are testing with info from AJ. a really slow right now as no workshop and bad weather !

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so I guess you are saying that when you checked the battery after you start it it is charging but your light just doesn't go out when the tractor starts. is that correct.

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no. with vom light stays on w/ just key on. also light stays on when running and batt sets a little below 12 volts slowly discharging.

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the alt is correct one and has been taken back & tested on digtal testing and is good output 14.5

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

now you have established the alternator is charging but not on your tractor. not real sure how your light work but I was always under the impression that once the voltage was met at the light it would go out bit I didn't think it had anything to do with the charging. I suspect you need to go through your wiring as maybe you have a broken wire some where. maybe some one on here would put the wiring diagram on here.

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks pinball!! let me finish AJ tests and I will get back. thanks

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep do the tests and come back,see what brand of alternator it's got,it is usually Lucas here in the UK that is standard equipment for the home market,when you say new alternator do you mean a brand new alternator, or the unit ye took off reconditioned/tested or what,at my place we use Sun test equipment for alternators,generators and starter motors,if an alternator tests good under load and then fitted to the engine and does not charge there would be a fault on the machine hence the test.
Come back
AJ

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes, AJ the alt. is brand new. presently I do not know the brand, but it looks just like the one we took of. weather permitting we will get finished testing. thanks

doubleclutch49
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ--Pinball and others that offered advice, Thank You. Many of you may not approve of remedy for charging recovery, but after to many hours of testing as suggested by all and not reaching a conclusion, a JCB Tec told my neighbor to take a small wire w/ engine running and very quickly hold one on + post alt. and quickly just touch terminal with nutted yellow wire and it should charge (it did charge 14.50 v) but when engine is turn off and restarted NO CHARGE so to make it work we installed momentary button on dash red wire to 12v and black wire to yellow nutted post and now he starts engine, quickly touch's button and charges. this may not be the correct way but it WORK'S

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: alt charging problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are correct in saying its not right,the machine is 20 years old and managed without any extra wire till now,there is clearly a fault on the alternator wiring by what you explain that should be repaired,probably the original wire is making ground and not exciting the alternator,probably nothing wrong with the old alternator either.
AJ

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters