Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of course there were some stuck bolts in the exhaust manifold, so I made a repair that has worked excellent for me in the past.

Cut the bolts off flat:

Drilled the holes to accept a 1/2-20 tap:

Then I buy these brass fittings which have a 1/2-20 straight thread, and Loctite them in:

Then I drill and tap the inside of the fitting for a 3/8-16 bolt:

Then grind off the heads and make sure its all flat:

Works very good Smile

Cut off a piece of stainless, I'm gonna straight pipe it!

Then I painted the manifold with POR 15 manifold paint and baked it in the oven, which my wife wasn't happy about that at all. Sad(

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neat stuff. You know there's a difference between "get this... running" and restoration???? Ha Ha.... Looks great.

Pro tip on the oven baking: Find a free used commercial oven on Craigslist and keep it in garage for such purposes. Happy wife...
something or other...

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

scootergmc wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:42:44 12/18/1Cool

Neat stuff. You know there's a difference between "get this... running" and restoration???? Ha Ha.... Looks great.

Pro tip on the oven baking: Find a free used commercial oven on Craigslist and keep it in garage for such purposes. Happy wife...
something or other...

Sure turning into a resto! I think I found a free oven on Craigslist. Smile

Today was an excellent day though. I finished lapping the valves, my father is helping me here.

I replaced 2 valve guides and 2 exhaust valves.

We got everything cleaned up and finished the valve adjustment:

Bolted on the head:

And exhaust manifold:

We got it started! Man it sounds really good! I don't want to run it too long without coolant, but I'll post a video soon! I need to finish the radiator and install new freeze plugs, but I have to remove the water pump and the starter, a couple freeze plugs sit right under there.[/QUOTE]

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good to hear!

Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="mopardude318"](reply to post at 12:24:43 11/14/18) [/quote]

I noticed the freeze plugs are busted
It either froze at one time or they rusted out
Better check those

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I noticed the freeze plugs are busted
It either froze at one time or they rusted out
Better check those

Yes thank you. I pulled the starter, water pump, distributor housing, and oil filter housing so I can replace all 6 of those on the side of the block.

I ordered a rebuilt water pump/distributor housing,drive gear all from Zimmerman's as mine was all complete toast. lol. more pics to come.

Allan B.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great quality photos. My BGSH has pretty much the same issues yours did. Where did you end up getting new engine gaskets - Zimmermans? How
about the radiator gaskets? Thanks

Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="mopardude318"](reply to post at 11:24:00 12/18/18) [/quote]

It always makes you feel good when you hear
The dead come alive after some hard work and
Busted knuckles
Good luck

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Allan B. wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:19:47 01/08/19) Great quality photos. My BGSH has pretty much the same issues yours did. Where did you end up getting new engine gaskets - Zimmermans? How
about the radiator gaskets? Thanks

Yes, I got all the gaskets I needed from Zimmermans. Same for the radiator gasket, which is just a peel and stick, you punch your own holes. Very easy.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I got some more work done today. I was stuck on the water pump for a month, had to look for one, and save my pennies for a while, they sure are not cheap, I got a rebuilt unit from Landis Zimmerman.

Mine was all seized up, looks like it was previously worked on years ago, they brazed the impeller all back together, the housing was all cracked and welded back. The distributor/water pump drive shaft was chewed all to ****. Luckily I found a whole new unit.

I tried to get it apart to save it, but it was too far gone. I used a lot of heat too.

rebuilt unit, very nice! $$$

Got the rusted out freeze plugs replaced with some brass ones. Smile

Kept on going and got the water pump bolted on, then the oil filter housing. That's enough for a days work. I'll clean up the block where the starter goes, I got that rebuilt too. You can see when I started, the cylinder head is a different orange, then I special ordered a case of Cletrac orange and painted everything else with it. I'm leavin the head that other orange, I don't care. LOL. Just an old dozer.

RCP
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice work

Rich

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to rebuild the hydraulic pump, which turned into a rather big ordeal. Once I had it apart, I needed new bearings & seals. The bearings were NOT cheap, $40 each and I needed 8!! Luckily my local bearing house was able to cross over the old numbers, it took a few days of research. LOL. Of course, no one had gaskets, I had to make them myself, very time consuming! I had this pump built 3 times over, each time having to make new gaskets to get the gear-to-case clearances right. What a ROYAL pain in the A**! The first time was too tight and would not turn once bolted together! This dang pump almost broke me. LOL.

Here's some pics of disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly.

My ultra sonic cleaner really sped things up!

Pulling old bearings out and pressing in the new ones

Lightly sanded all surfaces nice & flat.

Found some real thin gasket material, used adhesive spray to glue them on and what a tedious process to cut everything out, 8 sealing surfaces!!

Finally reassembly!

At last the pump is done.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I got some more work done this weekend. After I got the engine to run by itself, I wanted to see if the tractor would move...So I pushed in the clutch, placed it in gear and eased off the clutch...the drive sprockets nudged a little bit, the tracks tightened as if it was gonna start to roll forward, then all of a sudden, as I apply full torque and release the clutch all the way out, I hear a banging/grinding noise, and the tractor ceases to move!!!

So I just may have found the problem why this thing was parked...Busted trans, or drive gear, or something. I don't know. So I get out a book and start reading, and start pulling inspection covers. LOL I have found that the inner and outer main drive shaft bearings have disintegrated and all that remains is the bearing race. LOL. The drive shaft gear was now flopping unsupported in the housing making it skip over the bull gear. If that makes sense. LOL Here's some pics.

Here are the covers I start to remove, the shifter and PTO lever just come straight out. easy.

Kind of a mess in there but I can work with that. lol

I didn't find anything unusual in there so it was suggested to me to pull the final drive covers behind the sprockets...

One side looked good, had bearings. Smile

The other side was the problem side! No bearings, just the race! LOL

This was the unsupported gear that was skipping on the bull gear, if you will...

I had to get my Kubota, and pull the Cletrac forward so a hole in the sprocket lines up with those inspection covers, allowing me to remove the shaft and gear!

Comes out right through this hole.

Not much to see here.

These guys look good.

So the inner and outer bearings were 50 bucks a piece, should be here by Friday. I don't know what I have to do yet to install the new bearings...break track and pull the sprocket, then take apart the bull gear/final drive housing...press the bearings in...I don't know yet. I got some work ahead of me boys. More to come. LOL

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I sure had a busy Saturday. I found the master link in the track and pulled the tractor till it was in the sprocket. Used a torch got the little pin out.

Then started beating on this dang pin, man it wouldn't budge.

I had to borrow my brother in laws Oxy/Acetylene torch to get the chain links cherry red!

Then after pounding on that **** pin for...oh I don't know, 200 strikes with a 12 pound sledge, I finally got it.

My hand slipped and I smashed the sh!t out of my finger.

The sprocket nut is 3 dang inches big, it was pretty tight.

But not as tight as the sprocket on the shaft. Oh my that was a tough one. I made a puller out of 3/4 grade 8 all thread, some 1" thick plate that I burned 2 holes through, and a bottle jack.

Some more heat and beating on it, also maxed out my 10 ton jack, finally came off.

I had some timbers I had layin around I cut to fit. lol Jacked it up with 2 jacks.

With the sprocket out of the way, I was able to take off the first half of the final drive cover, which also took some beatin.

I have a lot of cleanin to do! There parts of the bearing races and ball bearings everywhere. What a mess.

I have to pull this cotter pin, take the nut off and pull and replace the inner and outer bearing on this too because the sprocket was wobbling like a bad wheel bearing.

Started at 10 this morning, finished at 11pm. I'm beat. good night.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bull gear assembly pulled apart. few drops on a block of wood did the trick. isn't working in the dirt so fun!!

I'll order the bearings and seals from Zimmerman tomorrow, If he has 'em. maybe i'll start cleaning everything. I dunno

Maybe I'll start cleaning everything. Gonna take a lot of solvent/diesel/kerosene.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters