Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

WC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Liedman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have worked on quite a few tractors, but this is my first rebuild of an Allis WC, and I could use some ideas.
I opened up the engine as it was stuck. I have discovered the pistons were not stuck all that bad, and came out with a minimum of force.
However, I have been trying to turn the crankshaft by jacking up the left rear wheel and trying to turn it with the tractor in gear. It so
far has resisted me. I am wondering if the crankshaft bearings are froze (which I kind of doubt since the inside of the engine doesn't look
that bad, or if the clutch assembly is froze. Were WCs prone to clutch issues, or is there something else I am just missing?

16-30 oilpull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is the tractor in 4th gear as it will turn easier there, also is it in the cold where water might be frozen in the gears? had that happen once.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why aren't you using the starter?? Unless of course it does not have a starter. Filling In the blanks help us help you

funky_g00
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With all the pistons out and the tractor in neutral and/or with the clutch disengaged, you should easily be able to turn the crank over by hand either using the crank handle or by simply grabbing the crank and giving it a tug or twist. I have an engine with bent connecting rods and pistons that are stuck so tight I have to break some of them to pieces to get out, even then with all the rod caps off I can move the crank by hand about an 1/8". I am guessing that you have a water or rust problem in the tranny or diff. As previously mentioned are you working in a heated shop? Did you roll the tractor to its current spot before or after it got cold? I also have a parts tractor with water in the rear hubs, you can roll it anywhere in the summer come winter you can not move it, the rear wheels will not budge. HTH

Jay Liedman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The building it is in is not heated, but I rolled it in well after cold weather came, so I do not think there is ice in the rear end. The tractor has been sitting for years before I got it, but always under a roof. The wheel will turn if the shifter is in neutral.

ohio allis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a WD that actually had rolled one of the main bearings inside itself and locked up the engine. Might try loosening main caps

cole in mo.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be the inside of the engine collected moisture over the years and the lifters are rusted in place.

rickymotorbrains
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the lifters down in the block are stuck probably take a rod and stick it down the hole where the pushrods come up and hit them couple time and then try it

Rexkramer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it has a starter, maybe pull it and make sure it isn?t partially engaged. That would be enough to keep it from turning

rickymotorbrains
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you get motor unstuck

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters