Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Unstyled B Babbitt Rods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bmh785
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a '35 unstyled B with Babbitt rods. It appears that when they were poured originally or at a rebuild they didn't pour enough. It could have also been like this for 50 years too as I don't know. I'd like to have them redone but I don't know where to go with them. I couldn't find anyone in central IL that does it. I also have a '35 CC that will need done one day as well. Anyone have a reputable place they used? Thank you.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not done that, but have seen rods like that, someone here will know.

Bmh785
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im not pulling it but might plow with it one day. Would like for it to be right as they are already out. Also need a B357R head. I've got good valves and new guides. Thanks

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like maybe they are all worn out ? Might find some good used ones on ebay of somewhere.

Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul's Rod and bearing located in Parksville Mo. Phone #816 587 4747. If your crank is good just mike it and send the rods to them and give them
measurements.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the rod design and popularity, but another option would be to bore the rods and fit them with inserts.

Might ask about that option when having them done.

Bmh785
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the crank is good. I will give them a call. Thank you.

Lynerd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bmh785 You said the crank is good. Not out of round too. The babbit looks like it is on the rod pretty good. As long as the babbit is solid another option would be to take the rods to a rod machine and have them bored out. I don't think with 20 HP you would have a problem. They fix the small end in the machine and clamp the big end then bore them out. Give them the crank measurements and probably take out some shims. A cheaper way than replacement. Lynn

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of life left in that rod. Take out shims & get it fit right & run it. May outlast you.

Bmh785
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thats kind of my thought too. If the Babbitt is more than I'm anticipating then i might. It's just all apart now it my only thought. Had the valves not been stuck and the engine full of sludge (hence the entire teardown) I would have never known. We'll see. Thanks for the replies.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Babbitt Rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been dealing with babbitt for years. I would run it.
Richard

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters