Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

D-14 power steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgejo4050
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1957 D-14 and when I run it, the motor oil will end up in the power steering, I have disassembled figuring to find the nose on the power steering pump broken or cracked to allow the motor to in, but it all looks ok, I have not pulled the gear off, is there a shaft seal that could go bad allowing this to happen? This seemed to have started after an engine overhaul.
Any help would be appreciated
George

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you 1000% sure it is sucking motor oil out of the engine?? I'd be more inclined to think you are sucking air into the power steering pump which swells up the oil in the steering reservoir and makes it vomit out steering oil that is foamy. Yes, there is a shaft seal on the steering pump, but removing the pump for an engine OH shouldn't have done anything to that seal. It is more likely your suction hose is damaged or clamps not tight causing the problem I described.

Mr.Ferguson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well at least your pump works, when I got mine I discovered that the pump had been damaged beyond repair. And it has been fun trying to find one

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the issue with your PS pump?? I've always been able to repair them unless there aren't parts available from AGCO any more.

Mr.Ferguson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A tooth came off the cylinder, and went through the pump, most likely multiple times

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And, you have been unable to find a complete power steering pump in a salvage yard ??

georgejo4050
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the oil starts coming out the vent on the steering unit it is black and not foamy. all my lines are steel and flared on the end and were tight when I took it back apart.
This has got me stumped.

georgejo4050
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DrPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 am Post subject: Re: D-14 power steering

When the oil starts coming out the vent on the steering unit it is black and not foamy. all my lines are steel and flared on the end and were tight when I took it back apart.
This has got me stumped.Allis wrote:
(reply to post at 10:00:58 12/31/1Cool

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters