Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1939 U engine questions blowing oil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tully123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, I posted several months ago about bringing home my Grandfather’s 1939 U. It hasn’t run in probably 50 years. After puttering around for months my friend and I finally got it to run over the long weekend. It was very rewarding.

The problem I am having is that it burns and blows a lot of oil. More than I have ever seen. The shop has drops of oil all over everything. Still worth it!

What would be the best guess on the problem? Rings? Valve guides? Just looking for some direction before I tear into it.

Thanks for your time.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rings are most likely stuck. add a quart of mystery oil to 5 gallons of gas and then hook it to some machinery and get it working hard and warmed up. work it for a few hrs. need under hard pull to loosen the rings. idling around will do nothing.

X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

half a cup of ATF in the cylinders for about a week might be worth trying, the rings must be really stuck to be blowing oil out like that.

X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

half a cup of ATF in the cylinders for about a week might be worth trying, the rings must be really stuck to be blowing oil out like that.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And that's not surprising if it's actually been sitting that long. I'd try the ATF also.
Otherwise, keep running it and see if it comes out of it. You can always tear it down if nothing else works.

Tully123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and ideas. In my puttering around with it I had been squinting Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to soak them. Looking at the
inside of the exhaust manifold shows a lot of old oil caked in there. I don?t know if that is normal or showing that this condition existed before it was
parked.
I will try some ATF in the cylinders and see if that makes any difference.
When we started it we let it run at above idle for at least 30 min. I didn?t hear any knocking or excessive valve noise, I was very happy about that.
I am new to working on tractors. If I need to change them are there ring sets available for this tractor?
I tried to link the start up video if anyone is interested. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcprxwpMtgk
Thanks again.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sound like motor worn out Has be reason manifold caked.

Dennis P
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had issues with industrial LP Mazda engines that, having set for a while, the rings would stick & not have enough compression to start. I oil the cylinders to fire it off, let it get hot, shut it off, change oil, & add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil (Rislone works also)to the crankcase. This fixes it & no more issue of rings sticking.

JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it sat for 50 years I tend to agree rings stuck. A simple rering and hone the blocks should not be to hard or costly.

Tully123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of the responses. Any ideas about the best place to get new rings?
I am going to soak the cylinders again and try that first, but want to start looking for replacements if needed.
Thanks

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep, you will get better results working the heck out of it than just pouring atf in cyl's and hoping. you need the compression to drive the rings outward. mystery oil is an upper cyl. lube and that's what u need.

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some years ago I got rings for a U from Agkits.com Also the go to for MM
parts is Welters Farm Supply.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rings common. Have NOS pitons (3) guides and intake valves. Might have rings if not can
supply.

Tully123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses. I would love to take it out and work it hard, unfortunately winter and tires that will disintegrate if I did anymore that slowly pull it out of the shed are preventing me from doing so.
I will try soaking the cylinders again and running it in place and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 U engine questions blowing oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

even if you could belt it to something to get it working. also cover the radiator with about a 6" round hole in fan centre. want it to get pretty warm but not boiling. even do a compression check on it. it could have been possible the tractor was never worked hard and its carboned up. also spraying(misting) water into the intake will help loosen the carbon. how's the spark plugs look? black and carbon fouled? plus its possible to that's its just worn out.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters