Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ignitor Electronic Ignition

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To find the magnets:

- Wrap the outside diameter of the black plastic magnet ring in one layer of masking tape.

- Spread some iron fillings, in a thin layer on a piece of paper. The dust from around your bench grinder should work as a source for iron fillings.

- Roll the magnet ring in the iron fillings. Each magnet will be evident by the iron fillings clinging to the tape.

- To remove the iron fillings simply unwrap the tape.

- Enjoy .... forget where you heard this and take full credit for your skill.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two of the pertronix kits. A 12 volt negative ground kit to run a round can coil and a 6 volt positive ground kit to use the OEM coil. I checked the gap between the black plastic magnet wheel and the Pertronix trigger module. The gap measured .055" on the 12 volt kit and .045" on the 6 volt kit, an average of .050". You stated the gap on your kit is .250" or 5 times greater.

I bench tested my 12 volt kit connected as per the Pertronix test outlined in your post. When tested in this manner, the meter shows 12 volts when no magnet is present and 0 volts when the module is triggered by the magnet. I found the center, lower half of the module to be most sensitive to the magnet. I was also able to trigger the module using a small (pencil) magnetic pickup tool. I was unable to trigger the module with the magnet wheel at a distance (gap) of .250" from the module.

I would suggest the .250" magnet wheel to trigger module gap should be reduced to something closer to .050". Perhaps your kit has the wrong parts or is mis-assembled ......?

chamsher
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Indiana Ken: Thanks for your comments and findings. You are evidently right in regard to distance of the module from the magnets. I know that I have installed the module correctly because it only fits one way on the plate that they sent to replace the points plate. Also, when I looked at the instructions for installing the parts, there is a picture of a distributor with the module installed on it which is not completely a clear picture, because it is a cut away with half of the picture covered by the cap. But the other half appears to reveal a plate similar to the one they sent with the module installed the same way that I installed it on my distributor. The only thing I can conclude from all this is that the magnet ring in my distributor is smaller than those in your distributor which causes the magnets to pass the module between 1/4" to 3/8" distance.
So I did two checks on this; (1) I installed the module temporarily as close to the module as I could without the magnet ring hitting it as it turned. I tested it and there was no response from the module. upon turning the magnet ring there was no variation in power. It had continuous power. (2) I installed the module temporarily with the module turned around in the event that I had the wrong side turned towards the magnet ring. Results; no change in power to the module. It had continuous power with no fluctuation.
Then I did something that I believe you suggested. I installed tape on the magnet ring and placed medal filing on the ring. None of the filings clung to the ring. I then touch one of the magnets with a small piece of metal and there did not appear to be any magnetic power in the magnet.
This brought up a question to me, I had not thought about before. When the distributor had the points in it, what use were the magnets to that system since the magnet ring is not a ring at all? It is a four cornered ring which operated the points opening and closing by the rounded corners on the ring. That being the case, why would they make and install this magnetic ring if it is of no use in a point system. Did I miss something in my thinking on this matter?

My last question does not make a "hill of beans" of difference to the issue I'm presented with on this distributor. Hope you can resolve my confusion and problem.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-chamsher wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:52:01 01/04/19) Indiana Ken: Thanks for your comments and findings. You are evidently right in regard to distance of the module from the magnets. I know that I have installed the module correctly because it only fits one way on the plate that they sent to replace the points plate. Also, when I looked at the instructions for installing the parts, there is a picture of a distributor with the module installed on it which is not completely a clear picture, because it is a cut away with half of the picture covered by the cap. But the other half appears to reveal a plate similar to the one they sent with the module installed the same way that I installed it on my distributor. The only thing I can conclude from all this is that the magnet ring in my distributor is smaller than those in your distributor which causes the magnets to pass the module between 1/4" to 3/8" distance.
So I did two checks on this; (1) I installed the module temporarily as close to the module as I could without the magnet ring hitting it as it turned. I tested it and there was no response from the module. upon turning the magnet ring there was no variation in power. It had continuous power. (2) I installed the module temporarily with the module turned around in the event that I had the wrong side turned towards the magnet ring. Results; no change in power to the module. It had continuous power with no fluctuation.
Then I did something that I believe you suggested. I installed tape on the magnet ring and placed medal filing on the ring. None of the filings clung to the ring. I then touch one of the magnets with a small piece of metal and there did not appear to be any magnetic power in the magnet.
This brought up a question to me, I had not thought about before. When the distributor had the points in it, what use were the magnets to that system since the magnet ring is not a ring at all? It is a four cornered ring which operated the points opening and closing by the rounded corners on the ring. That being the case, why would they make and install this magnetic ring if it is of no use in a point system. Did I miss something in my thinking on this matter?

My last question does not make a "hill of beans" of difference to the issue I'm presented with on this distributor. Hope you can resolve my confusion and problem.
very difficult to determine what you are talking about! There is NO magnet ring with points! Rolling Eyes

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"When the distributor had the points in it, what use were the magnets to that system since the magnet ring is not a ring at all? It is a four cornered ring which operated the points opening and closing by the rounded corners on the ring"

You re describing the distributor cam. The magnet ring is a round plastic thing that has four magnets embedded in it and slips over the distributor cam. Comes in the kit. The ring would fill the space between the distributor cam and the module.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Pertronix ignition kit has two components that replace the points. One is the trigger module which is a black plastic box and has two wires coming out of it. I am sure you have this part. The other part is the magnet ring which is also black plastic. It is .530" high with an outside diameter of 1.295" and a .785" diameter opening through the center. This opening also has an four sided lobed section to fit over the point cam in your distributor. This part will have a 1247 number marked on it. It is evident that you do not have this part and will need to obtain it.

In your instruction sheet, Part # 1247XT:

Ignitor Fitment

7) Install the magnet sleeve onto the point cam. (This is the magnet ring I described above and it is pushed onto the point cam.)

Illustration C

Yes, the magnet ring is shown as a dark black circle under the bearing support bracket. The trigger module is (hidden under the distributor cap) located at the 10-11 O-clock position. Note, the flat side of the module will be closest to the magnet ring. I don't believe it will fit the other way.

chamsher
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Ken; you have been so helpful in answering my questions concerning the magnetic ring. No wonder, I have had so much problems in trying to follow all of the suggestions that you and others on the forum have given me to sort out why my Ignitor was not working. While several have mentioned the magnetic ring and the magnets, I did not have that part sent to me, so I was trying to make the distributor work without it. I'm sorry for being so dense about this. What is even more embarrassing is that it took so long for me to understand the problem. Ken, your comments were right on the mark and, of course, got to the root of the problem. I was about to quit and go back to my points on the tractor and count the cost of the Ignitor Kit as a lost cause.

I have already addressed an email to Yesterday's tractors about the missing part. They are closed for the weekend, so will call them Monday to have the missing part shipped to me. Thanks again for your great help.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignitor Electronic Ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. When you get the ring roll it in iron fillings - you will see four spots where the magnets are.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters