Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

68 Camaro For Christmas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The high compression pistons would not be much of an issue even with a more stock cam. You might just have to buy premium gas to help with the dieseling on shut off.

As for fuel delivery. I would just find out what size Holley you have. If it is over a 600-650 I would replace it. IF it is a 600 or 650 then just put a ethanol safe kit in it. The Holley is the easiest to adjust and keep running. Have a good fuel pump with a regulator in the supply line and your good to go. Plus you can do this for 25% of the cost of EFI.

As for the cam. You do not need a hopped up cam for high compression pistons in just a driver car. So pull the cam and get one with just a mild lift.

As for the head light covers. Since the car is not fully original anyway I would go with the electric actuators. They cause fewer problems and are easy to wire.

Doing what I outlined will get you a fun car to drive without having an arm and leg stuck into it. The high lift cams and EFI injection systems are spendy. They are really not needed just for a fun drive car. With just the High compression pistons, mild cam and good four barrel it will smoke the tires. Got to remember that a Camaro is not that heavy of a street car. So unless they are wanting to go drag race they do not need a supper hopped up engine.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

I'm kinda on hold with this for a little while, going to have to wait and see how well it was received (probably not well as bad as it runs), and how much money they are willing to spend.

I suspect he's already into this about $50k deep. Not sure if that means that's all there is to work with, or he's in so deep no turning back.

Going to have to have a heart to heart talk to explain the options and challenges of making this practical to drive. I'd like to talk to the recipient (the elderly father), feel him out on his ability to drive and what his intentions are for it.

Thanks again, I'll keep everyone posted.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50K? Boy did I possibly mess up.
A few years ago. . . . 1980 it was, I was getting out of the Army in Ft Bragg, NC. I had been reworking a '67 Impala from bumper to bumper, new engine/trans/paint and a few other repairs.
A guy I knew had a '68 Camaro that he had been driving and had just gotten married. He wanted to trade his Camaro straight across for my Impala. I had that Impala set to run for the next bunch of years needing nothing. His Camaro needed most of everything I had just spent
years doing. I passed on it and was even kicking myself a bit back then.
I was fairly familiar with a few automotive things back in the day as I spent many hours working on other peoples vehicles.
Then I foolishly pursued auto mechanics after another stint in the military.
You have fun with that 50K ouch.
If it got dropped in my lap, I would be trying to contact the PO and see what they were willing to say.
I remember working in a tune up shop and a customer and his buddies brought in one of those "Hot-Rods". He just bought it and was bragging about the great deal he got on it. He was very excited and real happy, until I pointed out the noise way down deep below the exhaust noise and the rumpety-rumpety cam noise. The noise of a bearing knock, very slight and very deep. He was not too happy after that and having all his buddies in tow set out to return the car to the seller.
Have fun with your toy.

I enjoyed the last older gentleman who had a "Hot Rod" built. He was going down the highway, the roads were wet, but not raining, he stepped on the throttle and his "Hot Rod" spun around at 60 MPH facing the wrong way on the free way.
I believe it was a 400 Firebird with a 400 trans. His wife was with him and the car got sold. His idea. Do run-run.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I would of had brains enough to keep at least one of my old cars. I liked them stock like they came off the assembly line, had a 64 Impala SS, 69 Camaro SS, 77 Corvette, two El Caminos and some other ones I'd settle for now. Corvette had headers and aftermarket rims but was a nice runner and driver.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Real simple, put a GM TBI on it and a Megasquirt.

I get bashed all the time for suggesting it, then everyone complains about carburetors.

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Instead of all the add on componets to system thats hodgepodge at best why not take a 5.7 vortec swap and be done. Very drive able more power than stock..

biggator64@yahoo.com
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-1Plowboy wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:19:37 12/25/1Cool Look up Edelbrock Thunder Series. Good carb with electric choke. 1/3 the price of EFI. Good performance.
Untitled URL Link

I agreei have always used edelbrock carbs, its the only way to go for a street car

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters