Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

tea 20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: tea 20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

need to replace broken valve spring. can I put a rope in cyl and slowly move pistn up to hold valve up while I make up a gadget to remove the keeper? thanks for any info

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tea 20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've heard of that method, never tried it.

I have used air pressure, remove the pushrods on that cylinder, put an adapter in the spark plug hole, air pressure will hold the valves up.

ghostdncr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: tea 20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the rope trick will work on any overhead valve engine. Only exception I can think of may be some types of overhead cam motorcycle engines where it really is easier to pull the heads for valve keeper replacement.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: tea 20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you can , it works very well and is easy to do .
Use soft sash cord , make sure it is clean and feed it in while the piston is at its lowest . Use the hand crank to raise the piston hard up against the rope and tie it or block it into position . Ensure you leave a long tail hanging out of the plug hole by the way Shocked
A piece of flar bar or angle can be fitted across the rocker cover hold down studs to give you a place to lever from or mount whatever you need to remove the collets . The collets will spring away and hide from you , laughing all the time so cover them with a cloth and block any other areas where they will flee to .
This is what I used .

I bent a crappy mower spanner into shape , welded it to the angle , then compressed the spring by tightening the rocker cover nuts .

brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tea 20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so I wasn't able toget much pressure on the valve for some reason or another however I made up a good gadget to be able to remove the keepers so will see how assembly goes when valve shows up/ tried air pressure with a cigarette liter compressor and I could nor keep enough pressure to hold valve so hope a valve is not burnt?

Ark68SS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: tea 20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That little compressor doesn't supply enough air. Use the rope trick and you'll be good.
BillL

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters