Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

AC question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodly
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please bear with this AC newbie. What was the first AC tractor (under 100 hp) to have an independent PTO? I mean, on the D series when you pushed the foot clutch the PTO stopped turning. What was the first AC tractor that the PTO continued operation even when the foot clutch was depressed? Did any of the 100 series tractors have this feature?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The One-Sixty/160 had a two stage engine clutch, both stages being controlled by the foot pedal. This tractor was AC in name only as it was built by Renault.

16-30 oilpull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a D-10 with live independent PTO. My earlier D-12 does not so was that an option or just on the later ones?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There were no D10-D12's around here, so I have no experience with them. I believe they got up to a series III, so changes were obviously made. I don't believe live PTO was an earlier option, but came later, as with your tractors.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5040 had LPTO

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Early generation D10-12's did NOT have a live or independent PTO, but they did have a PTO. I believe it was the Series 2 and 3 models that had a truly independent PTO similar to what Oliver used.

sodly
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DrAllis wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:24:10 01/11/19) Early generation D10-12's did NOT have a live or independent PTO, but they did have a PTO. I believe it was the Series 2 and 3 models that had a truly independent PTO similar to what Oliver used.

The reason I bring this up is because I've often fancied owning a D-series or a 100 series tractor but would need to be able to do chores like bush-hogging with it. However, I'm told the Power Director really makes that difficult if you have a lot of backing up to do. The foot clutch kills the PTO every time you step on it to change from forward to reverse-- not ideal with a mower behind you.

So the later D10 and D12s have an live PTO where you can push the clutch down part way to stop the tractor without stopping the PTO? But the D15 and D17 tractors did not?

Were there any other later AC tractors (besides the 160) that had this ability? Or an independent PTO that ran regardless of the foot clutch? The 170... 180... 190... 200? I'm not that familiar with all of them and how they differ from one another. Not interested in a foreign-built model.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know how the later D10-D12 PTO was engaged. Whether a two stage engine clutch, or a separate clutch in the rear. A look at the parts diagram would be instructional. I will guess it's a separate clutch, as I don't recall AC using a double clutch.

The D14-15-17-19, as well as the 170-175-180-185-190-190XT-200 all worked the same way- engine clutch stopped PTO. Use the "power director" to maintain PTO operation.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything with the Hi/Low Power Director clutch kills the PTO when you step on the foot clutch. For those of us who are used to it, it's not really that big of deal when the tractors hydraulic oil is fully warmed up. Many times you don't even need to step on the foot clutch to shift and if you do it is very quick with no time lost.

sodly
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DrAllis wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:27:46 01/11/19) Anything with the Hi/Low Power Director clutch kills the PTO when you step on the foot clutch. For those of us who are used to it, it's not really that big of deal when the tractors hydraulic oil is fully warmed up. Many times you don't even need to step on the foot clutch to shift and if you do it is very quick with no time lost.

Thanks for the update guys. That's what I suspected.

Dr Allis, you can shift from forward to reverse without the clutch?!!?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a number of A/C tractors. On my WD45 you can shift form forward to reverse using the hand clutch but on my D-17 I cannot do that.

Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:50:00 01/11/19) I have a number of A/C tractors. On my WD45 you can shift form forward to reverse using the hand clutch but on my D-17 I cannot do that.

Interesting......
I can't with either my WD or WD-45 but I can with the D-17 if I do it quickly. That works out well as I do most of my bushhoggin' with the D-17.

sodly
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian G. NY wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:31:39 01/11/19)
CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:50:00 01/11/19) I have a number of A/C tractors. On my WD45 you can shift form forward to reverse using the hand clutch but on my D-17 I cannot do that.

Interesting......
I can't with either my WD or WD-45 but I can with the D-17 if I do it quickly. That works out well as I do most of my bushhoggin' with the D-17.

How is this even possible if the tractor is rolling forward to shift into reverse without the (foot) clutch? Or vice versa?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As you can see, it's not so much the model, but it's conditional factors. You can shift with the power director, or hand clutch, if, the tractor ground travel is stopped, the oil is warm, your clutch is in good working order [no warped plates] your shifter is in good condition, you're fast, and know what you're doing!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AC question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's odd. On my WD45 I can shift gear using the hand clutch but I cannot shift gears on my D-17 with the hand clutch

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters