Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Regarding the DC water pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To who ever designed the DC water pump, you, sir, are a poopy headed dummy butt. That is all I have to say about that.

CaseDC3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After the water pump design was finished, he moved over to the designing of the carburetor mounting bolt positions.

RJKeith
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL! When I was in high school, a guy was doing some bulldozer work for my dad. We were talking and I mentioned I was thinking about college and studying engineering. I immediately got an earful as he showed me every place on his bulldozer that we difficult to service! Probably a good lesson for anyone thinking about engineering though.

agonair
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right there with the idiot who thought removing the seat to grease on a John Deere combine was a good idea.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wait, as you probably know, all the tin-work on the 1030 and the radiator have to be removed to get that water pump off also.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm aware, but at least it won't be stuck in the block. That was a bear to get out. Thought I was going to have to break it up.

VAC400
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon, There is a story on this. The first engineer designed it. The second engineer improved it. The third engineer said the is to good so he redesigned it.
Have a great day. Jerry from Ohio

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use to rebuild LA water pumps, but one bearing was getting very hard to find.
Richard in NW SC

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't figure out why the hand clutches on SC's and DC's were designed operate differently and why one factory made tractors with positive ground and the other with negative ground.

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with you 100%. Don

Ron Sa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have removed water pumps ranging from a 1930 L to several DCs. When necessary, I used wedges made out of screwdriver bits having blades used for slotted screws. See picture below for an ?illustration? of the type wedges I used. I used long, skinny, (costing about a buck each) screwdriver bits (about ? to 3/8 inch wide blade) that could be pounded on with a claw hammer or other equivalent size hammer. I used long enough bits for clearance around the engine block and head etc.

I started by using 3 wedges (and usually ended up using 9) to get the water pump off my 1938 C Case and several others. If needed, I ground down the thickness of the blade?s end so it was slightly thinner than the gasket. I then drove the wedges into the gasket. Older tractors, like my L and C, had a ?thick? gasket so a standard thickness blade could be used for the wedges.

I avoided wedging near the bolt?s ears because the casting is weak there. I went half way between the bolt?s ears for the first 3 wedges. Rather than drive the first 3 wedges in HARD, and possibly break the casting, I used more wedges. I moved 1 inch away from the first wedges and pounded in 3 more wedges.

Maybe I could have hammered harder, alternating on the 3 or 6 wedges. but I chose to add another set of 3 wedges another inch away in order to go easy on the casting. I didn?t push my luck. I kept pounding not too heavy on all 9 wedges. The rust let go!!!!

Any smearing/denting of the gasket surfaces are easily dealt with a little appropriate ?filler?, a light grinding of any raised places at the sides of the dents, and a new gasket.

As you probably know, you are dealing with about 50 years of pilot diameter rust inside a cooling system. It?s not an engineering oversight. Engineers are generally overruled by the bean counters etc. (who can afford to chrome the pilot diameters or make the engine block and pump casting out of stainless steel etc. ???????)

Very few engineers or decision-makers are charged with worrying about disassembling something rusted together for 50+ years!!!! It?s a plague of restoring antiques. Innovation is often required to break the rust and otherwise cope with the antique tractor restoring disease!!!! LOL

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL Try working on some military aircraft. Worked on A7E had to disassemble most of the plane to get to some parts, others had to pull the engine to get too. Was one of the first to get the FA18A was supposed to be a maint dream computer told you what was wrong.LOL Had one brand new off the line flew in broke. Replaced part that computer said was bad, flew it said another part was broke. Had to wait for factory to make the actuator 2months. Put new actuator in flew plane said the first part we replaced was broke again I said B.S. Got chewed out by maint officer for not getting plane fixed for 6 months. Talked to my maint Chief told him I wanted the computers checked ATs refused to do it. Another plane was down so took the computers from that plane put in the other and it flew fine. Sent all 8 computers back to factory 4 were bad 4 were good so they couldn't make up their minds. I said why not put 7 in and there wouldn't be a problem.

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i will 2nd that notion ,.. LOL

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding the DC water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All My DC s only have 1 bolt on the air filter casting , You guys know why, Too . this dam bolt is easier done by loosening the air filter higher up to allow flexing .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters