Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Museums and donations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I heard a few years back that charities are pushing back on “strings attached” donations. You know, donations that the giver requiors the money goes to starving kids in Africa, or that fund this aspect of the organization, but not that aspect.

I wonder if that extends to donations of relics to a museum. If you try to give this or that item with the demand that it is never sold, and they say “we won’t accept it under those terms”. It makes sense. Good museums change up their displays often. If they’re obligated to keep your tractor in good condition and on display, that takes away room for a potentially more interesting displays. I’ve seen things donated to steam and gas clubs that sit in the tree line and rot because they can’t sell them and also can’t maintain them.

Something to think about.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rockyridgefarm wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:44:29 01/11/19) I heard a few years back that charities are pushing back on “strings attached” donations. You know, donations that the giver requiors the money goes to starving kids in Africa, or that fund this aspect of the organization, but not that aspect.

I wonder if that extends to donations of relics to a museum. If you try to give this or that item with the demand that it is never sold, and they say “we won’t accept it under those terms”. It makes sense. Good museums change up their displays often. If they’re obligated to keep your tractor in good condition and on display, that takes away room for a potentially more interesting displays. I’ve seen things donated to steam and gas clubs that sit in the tree line and rot because they can’t sell them and also can’t maintain them.

Something to think about.

Yep, gotta agree.

Rick

moll
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My museum will take donations anytime, cant provide tax credit tho,
must be out of the goodness of your heart and must be pieces pre- 1939.

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Local county museum here has an auction from time to time of the extra donated stuff. How many cream separators and Edison tube players do they
need? Just because it?s special to you, doesn?t mean it special to everybody.

I hope my wife has a successful sale after I am gone. I have a couple tractors that have sentimental value to me, but unless one of the kids want them,
they might as well find a new home.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you are placing a lot of restrictions on your equipment, truth is no one will take it if there is not a perceived value on it. It is a lot like taking care of an animal in a will. You have to put enough cash along with the animal to provide care for the lifetime, if you do not provide enough cash, the animal will be put down. Antique equipment is declining in value along with the quantity of people that are interested in it.

It is basic reality to assume the equipment might be scrapped upon your death.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree.

I had an old hand cranked fanning mill that my dad once used to clean seed wheat. I had no use for it, so I talked to a fellow from our county museum. He said they already had two, but said he'd talk to the board and see if they wanted another.

Turned out he croaked before anything else got done. So--I took the fanning mill to a consignment auction wondering if it would get a bid and it brought $45.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After giving this some thought part of me says find a younger person who is interested and just give it to them. The downside there is somewhere down the road they need a few bucks who knows what will happen.

Rick

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Museums and donations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local threshing show has fought that battle since the beginning of the show. When I was on the board of directors I tried to push a policy that states all machinery donations need to be inspected by a couple of board members at the donators place before we say yes. I also tried to push a policy that states we have the right to sell their donation. I pushed the policy after someone brought an old junk baler that didn’t even have a plunger as a donation on the opening day of the show when we were busy as all get out with other things, telling me it was grandpa’s baler and just too good to cut up. He said he called one of the board members and the board member OK’d it over the phone. The present board of directors is ow following that policy. We had to cut down on the junk row machinery living in the weeds somehow.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters