Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Governor works

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since getting my 8N haven't had much time to work on it because of the weather, I'm a warm weather worker, but the other day looking at it decided to clean the throttle control, didn't like that eeeee, eeeee everytime you moved it up and down, so got some wd 40 sprayed her all up cleaned all the rust off it and it is now quiet. Started it up everything working good, but just sitting there, throttle up and down, just sitting there full throttle is about half way up, decided to give it a spin down the road, put it in gear and away I went, but noticed that my throttle didn't want to stay up at full throttle, it wanted to work its way down, then a light bulb moment, I freed up the throttle to the point the governor was actually moving the throttle down, I said well isn't that something I should have left it be, just wanted to share that little bit, learning one bolt at a time.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is your "governor compensating spring" intact and in place? It counteracts the "pull" from the governor lever that ries to move the lever to the "idle" position.

MORE info on slipping throttle

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RGR wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:28:51 01/12/19) Since getting my 8N haven't had much time to work on it because of the weather, I'm a warm weather worker, but the other day looking at it decided to clean the throttle control, didn't like that eeeee, eeeee everytime you moved it up and down, so got some wd 40 sprayed her all up cleaned all the rust off it and it is now quiet. Started it up everything working good, but just sitting there, throttle up and down, just sitting there full throttle is about half way up, decided to give it a spin down the road, put it in gear and away I went, but noticed that my throttle didn't want to stay up at full throttle, it wanted to work its way down, then a light bulb moment, I freed up the throttle to the point the governor was actually moving the throttle down, I said well isn't that something I should have left it be, just wanted to share that little bit, learning one bolt at a time.

Here is one reason for throttle slippage. You see two throttle plates in the picture. one is very well worn. The ridges that hold the throttle rod are almost flat. The other is a new throttle plate.

The second pic shows the ball in the throttle rod that rides on those ridges. As you can see the ball is worn mostly flat. These worn parts were slipping very bad on my 8N. It wouldn't hold the throttle in position until I replaced with new parts. You can pry the ball out of the throttle rod and replace it with a standard 3/8" ball bearing. Sling shot ammo available in any sporting goods store.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good photos.
You can also buy individual ball bearings
at most hardware stores - in those boxes
of miscellaneous small parts in the
bolts/screws/fastener section.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:54:53 01/13/19) Good photos.

What?????? You mean you wouldn't want a life time supply of them for 16 generations of your family?

While you're at the sporting goods store you could also pick up a sling shot to use up that lifetime supply Wink

RGR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see where the spring is located on the throttle linkage but the plate that it attaches to the chassis or engine is missing so back to the workshop.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RGR wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:08:04 01/13/19) I see where the spring is located on the throttle linkage but the plate that it attaches to the chassis or engine is missing so back to the workshop.

Look on the other side of your trans. That little plate for the spring was on the opposite side of the trans on my tractor and yes, the spring was attached to it.

I moved it back to the correct side.

RGR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looked on the other side but did not see anything figure they must have cracked it open and did not put
that plate back on, going to have to find a plate or make something else up.
Thanks for the help

hunkydory
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor works Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Caryc wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:27:27 01/13/19)
CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:54:53 01/13/19) Good photos.

What?????? You mean you wouldn't want a life time supply of them for 16 generations of your family?

While you're at the sporting goods store you could also pick up a sling shot to use up that lifetime supply Wink

LOL! Laughing

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters