Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4 1/2 grinder

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Makita and a harbor freight. I absoulty detest the switch on the harbor freight. It is so hard to push, you almost need 1 hand on the switch while holding the grinder with the other hand.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HF has a paddle switch one (not to be confused with the thumb switch $10 one). It is my "go to" grinder for steel. Used it a lot and I like the size. I also have one of the $10 jobs which is not suited for grinding because it overheats too easily but I use it strictly for 4.5" cutoff wheels at which it works great.

ed will
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makita. Ed Will

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Harbor Freight power tools seem to have soft brushes that wear really bad. If you can find replacement brushes, you can make them last a lot longer.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i do the tool repair for a pallet maker and they have makita, dewalt. and harbor fright and the harbor hold up as good if not better then the other two when they get dropped or slammed under a pallet non will hold up and at 17.99 compared to 49.99 nota hard choice .we use the blue ones with the paddle switch and they do not press hard at all

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cheap Makita's will not hold up I have several of the higher priced 4 1/2" makita's that do well. In this post I over worked a 4 1/2" makita and let the smoke out it was my fraught. The good, repair parts were not that bad in price to fix it. While waiting I browned one from a bud a 5" Makita its the rear deal not to big and not to small its just right...

Buy a nice one and enjoy it life's to short to deal with a bad buy on a cheap one...

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1292435&highlight=makita

Winchester1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Milwaukee and Bosch, both about equal. Bosch has a lock on switch which I like for home use but grinders with this type of switch are illegal in industries such as mining. If you are going to use at home it everyday for long periods I would go with the Bosch. If in a workplace check their safety rules and make your best decision.

W have had the Milwaukee for years, the Bosch just a few years. Do not know how long the Bosch will last. Milwaukee does have a good servicing dealer network, but for $50.00 or less it may be cheaper to throw it away and get a new one.

As for HF tools some of their tools are as good as the name brands, other items in their stores are not so good.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2-4 1/2" and 2-7" dewalts. They are all over 20 years old and I use them a lot. I recently got a Milwaukee m18 fuel 4 1/2" grinder. It is very handy, but lacks p the power for heavy grinding. I use it for all clean up and light jobs because it has no cord. But any serious grinding gets a Milwaukee.

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never did care for a paddle switch grinder myself. saw to many of them take off when laid down.

Don't overlook Hitachi. I have had a 9.5 amp one for over ten years and it has never failed. A lot of oil field welders here are going to or have been using the 12 Amp Hitachi 4 1/2" grindes. They seem to like them a lot.

Hitachi owns and has been making Metabo grinders for years.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 dewalt 10 amp ones I carry in truck. One has a cutoff wheel other has a grinding wheel. I carry an old B&D with a wire brush that I plug into an outlet with a dimmer switch on it to slow wire brush down.

Not sure if any right angle grinders are variable speed. That might be something to look for. The right angle at hi speed is scary when you have a wire brush on it.
Also look at the amps. More amps more power.

I buy dewalt cut off wheels at RK on sale for $1, regular price is $2. I use a 6 inch cut off on my 4.5 inch, same price. 6 inch wheels last longer. May want to look at 6 inch right angle.

I have bought some cheapie HF grinders and make two trips to store. One to buy it and another one to return it. You get what you pay for there.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like my old B&D but lock mechanism is weak but I have a fix for that on the 2 I own.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think people lump all of Harbor Freights tools into the same bucket. They sell a number of angle grinders. They sell a $10 one that is probably not that great but they also sell a range of other ones up to $90. I bet the more expensive ones are much better. Harbor Freight has been slowly bringing in new models of tools that are much better than what they sold 20 ago.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have probably gone through more 4 1/2 in grinders than any 10 average people. I use on the average of a box of 25 wheels a month plus the flap wheels and cut-off wheels. I have tried every brand made, I think. The Harbor Freight ones won't last a month. Dewalt 3 months. Bosch 6 months. Makita 6 months. The old Milwaukee's were great, the new ones are junk. The one and only grinder that will hold up to my use is a METABO. I have 3 and the newest one is about a year old, the oldest is over three. They cost in the neighborhood of 125.00 bucks. Well worth the money.

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dewalt is twice the grinder my Milwaukee is and 10 times better than my Makita.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a HF 5 or 6 amp, forget, only one of my grinders triggered like that. Have been upgrading my HF grinders just because the originals are only 4" and after 30+ years of flawless service just decided it was time to upgrade....really I wanted the larger diameter machines. I load them up with different devices so that I don't have to swap discs or whatever when I want a different function.

The only objection I have with a paddle is that you you need to be careful how you set it down on the bench....any tool or what have you under the trigger will energize it for you and who knows where it might wind up. Never had a problem with a HF grinder and I have 4s, 4.5s. a newly acquired 7 and a 20 year old 9 beast that acts like a Gyroscope once it gets up to rpms.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters