Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Called To Go Back To Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must of depended who you drove for. I retired in 2010 and made $800 for 4 days work and if worked fifth and sixth day they were time and half. I ran LTL freight for union carrier.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did he talk money and benefits? ?? Ask for the moon, he just might be that desperate. You could always quit again.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I return to work, I'll bang my head against a brick wall until the urge goes away. So far the past 15 years I haven't had to get close to a brick wall.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-KCTractors wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:57:39 01/12/19) I have been retired since 2008 at age 62, from tractor-trailer driving, now going to be 73 this year.
Will, my old Boss called and asked me to drive again for maybe six weeks. I told him no. I haven't run a big truck since then. I don't like driving in rain anymore,especially in the dark. Now we are in the heart of winter weather with slippery roads or freezing rain.
When I did drive, I always shut it down when there was freezing rain, just snow wasn't that bad. I feel that if something happened and it was my fault that I could land-up setting in jail or worse. I just don't need that worry after being retired for ten years. Want do you Guys think? He says he can not find Drivers!

Do you need the money? If not, and you don't feel safe doing it, you definitely made the right call.

UncleTom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cant find truckers? They said this would happen!

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You would be spoiled today with overtime after 8 hours.

While Roadway/Yellow is on the verge of going under because them guys are talking strike the industry as a hold is strong.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ross my biggest bargaining point is my haz mat endorsement.
It is where you separate the men from the boys because most do not want OR can not get that endorsement.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get a call sometimes about me going back to dispatching concrete,nope I like getting up and doing what I want to do every day.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The owner of YRC is a very strong non union man. YRC also bought out Holland Freight and when YRC took over Holland they were run in the black and about 6 months latter Holland was in the red. YRC owns several other companies. I worked for a mom & pop union LTL carrier that covered the 4 states around the bottom of Lake Michigan and in the early 80s the company had 60 drivers and 8 or 9 dock men + a shop with 6 guys that worked on trucks and trailers. The kids took over in the 80ss and when I retired in 2010 there was only 10 drivers left. They are still going today and I think there is only 6 drivers

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have told people that I never want to hear the alarm ring, ever again. I did accidentally set the alarm on my wrist watch though. So in the last 9 months I may have heard it twice.
I made the mistake of missing an appointment twice. He said,"That's when you know that you are retired".

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We see the same thing in manufacturing, they complain about not being able to get workers, but crappy pay, few bennies, and the certain knowledge that you?ll be kicked to the curb when you get old, or if sales slow down. Unions are effectively extinct. No power at all, if you go on strike, the work will go somewhere else. There seems to be a campaign to make manufacturing ?cool? again. I read this morning that most manufacturers have apprentice programs. That?s pure BS.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years ago YRC about went under.
Told the union they were cutting pay or going under so they voted the pay cut in.
Talk on the street is they will strike if they do not get back to 100% of contract this year.

YRC also sold a lot of their terminals at that time.
The company I work for bought a lot of them.
We moved into some of them but mostly it was we bought the terminal today and leased it to YRC tomorrow.
It gave they a influx of cash to pay off creditors and keep them afloat.

Fed ex freight upped pay a couple years ago and when XPO took over Conway the first thing they did was raise pay.
Both of these moves were seen as keeping the union out.

UPS freight has a good driver friendly contract and seems to be the only union outfit not in trouble.

We are all beating $30 a hour in the butt across the board for city hourly workers and 70 cents a mile for road drivers.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had to have that haz mat endorsement. The worst thing about it was every 3 months they made new changes and you had to keep up with them. Had customers that got made at us as drivers when you told them that paper work wasn't right and they had to correct it before you would load freight. i dropped my haz mat when I retired in 2010 and dropped the CDL this year because of the new medical changes and tired of trying to keep up with them.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you really need the money you likely could find a local company needing drivers for local deliveries. The roads are really a lot more dangerous than they used to be ! Lots of businesses anymore do drug testing and can not find many who can pass a drug test ! But if you don't need the money you sure don't need the aggravation.

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Called To Go Back To Work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This past Wednesday morning some unpredicted snow fell. The town's streets were untreated and became extremely slick. I saw a semi at a stoplight wanting to turn left. When the green arrow came on he sat there and spun- hardly moved, red light again. I wasn't around to see what he did. Not a good day for truck driving.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters