Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Differences in MS carburetors??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is what I was going by! For whatever it is worth!!

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:02:18 01/13/19)
Well, guess I did learn someting today!! any idea why?

can you tell from this photo which one is M/S carb? All three are cast iron.

Not sure what you're referring to as to "any idea why".
Hard to tell on those carbs tops from just one picture, but the one
on the right appears to be an aftermarket 8N-9510, possibly a C.
It has the one raised bolt section on the bottom right in the pic.
The one on the left has the brass keeper for the main adjuster.
That was a feature on SOME original M/S carbs but not all.
I have not seen it on the aftermarkets, so I would go with that one.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be OEM -Ford would use up old inventory when a part was declared obsolete and before the new one was issued unless there was a safety issue involved. My advice is: If it ain't broke...The TSX-33 carb will work just fine on any N. They used a slightly different Main Jet adjustment screw and a knurled knob a with a setting tab. They don't make those parts anymore and every new kit has the later 8N Main Jet screws nowadays. Unless one is doing a totally correct early 9N restoration and wants the look of the OEM TSX-33 carb, forget it and use the new style. Very few Ford tractor folks would know this or even care as tractor shows never do any judging anyway, at least none I'm aware of or ever attended. It ain't like the fussy car show people where you can't get closer than 6 feet or else they get nervous you might breathe on their precious antiques and judging requirements dictate you must have the OEM jack instructions glued to the inside of the trunk or you lose points. You said yours runs fine now -so leave it and move on. Spend your time and money on a useful project like new points or battery tender.

TPD

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:52:57 01/12/19)
R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:02:18 01/13/19)
Well, guess I did learn someting today!! any idea why?

can you tell from this photo which one is M/S carb? All three are cast iron.

Not sure what you're referring to as to "any idea why".
Hard to tell on those carbs tops from just one picture, but the one
on the right appears to be an aftermarket 8N-9510, possibly a C.
It has the one raised bolt section on the bottom right in the pic.
The one on the left has the brass keeper for the main adjuster.
That was a feature on SOME original M/S carbs but not all.
I have not seen it on the aftermarkets, so I would go with that one.

The "any idea why" question was referring to tightening the screws.
The red one is the only M/S carb, it is a tsx33, the other two are not marked. thanks for the info about the raised bolt hole on the one on the right.
Just cleaning them up to build a good one, will use the tsx 33 one. I will he carb cleaner was as good as it was back in the 60's.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, carb cleaner is not as good as it used to be.

Not all M/S carb tops were marked on the outside of the lip.
Some had a very thin top lip that wasn't wide enough to cast
the name in like the others had. Like the one on this TSX-33.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, one of the unmarked ones does have the thin lip like in your photo, It has a problem with the threads in one of the stud holes, so may not use that one.
Thanks for the information.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:43 01/13/19) OK, one of the unmarked ones does have the thin lip like in your photo, It has a problem with the threads in one of the stud holes, so may not use that one.

Back in yesteryear when Gary & I spent untold hours messing with, working with, cussing & discussing these M/S critters, we found a couple of real differences. (wouldn't matter for kit).

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:25:48 01/13/19)
R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:43 01/13/19) OK, one of the unmarked ones does have the thin lip like in your photo, It has a problem with the threads in one of the stud holes, so may not use that one.

Back in yesteryear when Gary & I spent untold hours messing with, working with, cussing & discussing these M/S critters, we found a couple of real differences. (wouldn't matter for kit).

Thanks for the info!

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"It has a problem with the threads in one of the stud holes"

You have options, so you don't need to use that one.
If you ever do decide to fix it though, I drill them out and tap
them to 3/8 vs the original 5/16, then use a 3/8NC-5/16NF stud.
That leaves the original size to fit the manifold. Works great.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in MS carburetors?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did not think about that but I was thinking about a helicoil insert. with the thru threads your solution might just be the best ida. Thanks. Will tuck that bit of knowledge away for future use. Think I will put a tag on it with that solution written on it, heck someone else may benefit from it if not myself.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters