Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

12v Conversation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yudt06
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Getting ready to convert my 54 NAA for 6v to 12v. I know they sell kits for this project. I know my lights will need to be updated to 12v but what other parts might I need beside the alternator and wiring ? Do I need a new distributor and such?

Any input or suggestions on what conversation kit to purchase is appreciated

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replace the coil with a true 12V coil, NAPA IC14SB or equivalent.
That way I don't have to wire in a ceramic resistor.
Distributor, points, solenoid, ammeter etc. will all be fine.

Yudt06
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Perfect thanks!

sunbeam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've always used the resister and the orginal coil less chance or run on from back feed.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had feedback keep them running after shutting the key off but
it came from the alternator, not the coil. A lamp or diode fixed that.

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

?I've always used the resister and the orginal coil less chance or run on from back feed.?

Direct 12 volt coil, or 6 volt coil with resistor have nothing to do with run on after shutting key off.

On a Delco 3 wire alternator, #2 edge pin is a sensor terminal to sense battery charge level, #1 pin is an excite terminal to supply start up current to the regulator when engine is started. Once running the alternator internal diode-trio supplies operating power to the regulator.

When the switch it turned off, if there is no isolation between alternator #1 and the switch the diode trio will continue to supply power to the ignition circuit and the engine will continue to run.

An isolating diode, resistor, of lamp will prevent this feed back and engine will shut down.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well, I guess this is really a conversation!

sunbeam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the resister works some what like the light bulb not enough power from the exciter curcit to keep the ignition going.

oldtractordude
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Conversation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did the same 3 wire 12 volt alternator conversion , i just used a toggle switch instead of diode or lamp.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters