Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

solder wire joint

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When did the practice of soldering wire joints end?

Dusty

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soldering has not ended. I solder. What circumstance are you referring to? Jim

Tom from Buckeye Lake
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I solder and shrink wrap whenever
possible, especially Marine
applications.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still do.

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It didn't. Folks have just gotten too lazy to bother and the younger guys don't know how to solder.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of problems I have seen is people have no idea how to solder anymore.
They take two pieces of stranded wire, lay them together, and take the iron and
the flux soilder and heat the begabbers out of everything. Called cold solder
joints or "lapped" joints. If you want to see some pretty nice soldering watch
this video. Guy does a fairly nice instruction job. Only thing he needs a
better solder iron cause his is pooping out. I even learned a new trick. Have
used lineman joints for years and then double layer with shrink tube. Never
ever had a failure.
How to solder joints.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sort of depends on the application. Soldered splices in house wiring went out of fashion many years ago, for the simple reason that wire nuts are fast and reliable. The houses where I've found solder and tape connections were originally wired in the twenties.

For automotive and aircraft applications, I think solder fell out of favor in WWII. Small-gauge stranded conductors tend to break under vibration if they're terminated with a soldered connection.

In electronics, soldered connections are still commonly used, particularly for attaching wires, connectors and components to printed circuit boards. Note that these are seldom soldered by hand; instead the entire circuit board is soldered using a "wave" soldering machine, where PC boards are passed over a pool of molten solder.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most all commercial and industrial is crimp now, it it needs sealed, there are silicone coverings if sealing is needed.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still solder wires if it's something I really want to depend on.

Ronnie Budd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still solder and use heat shrink tubing over the finished joint. I also taught my son the proper way to solder. I learned the proper method in the Army a long time ago, when I worked on communications equipment.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what application you're talking about. In the early 70's, a guy I worked with built a new house. He hired an old electrician to wire it, and that guy used a solder pot and a "dipper" for lack of the proper name, to solder the junction box connections. It was nice to see how the old guys used to do things, but I see no advantage over using wire nuts.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree. I teach my students how to solder and shrink wrap on automotive applications.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know someone who cuts extensions cords with hedge trimmer.
Usually the cord gets cut close to the end where it plugs into
the trimmer, go figure.

So I strip back about 5 inches of the outer protection on both
ends. Then I stagger the solder joints incase the electrical
tape fails there is no way they can short out. I use tape so I
can also put back some of the outer protection of the cord.

The only time my repair fails is when she uses the hedge
trimmer. Cord get shorter each time.

Oliver 500 Wa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-MarkB_MI wrote:
.....For automotive and aircraft applications, I think solder fell out of favor in WWII. Small-gauge stranded conductors tend to break under vibration if they're terminated with a soldered connection.

For aircraft, soldering is still used. I did the annual training/testing/re-certification at the company I retired from ~5 years ago. We made lots of wire harnesses for sub-assemblies on both military and commercial aircraft.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: solder wire joint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

didn't know it had ended. i did those same soldering samples in grade ten electronic's class in 1973.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters