Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are a couple pics of what I used to plow snow with back in the Blizzard of 78,,it was kinda nasty, even compared to what our friends up North deal with..

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That rig looks like it would go anyplace that was not an unfrozen swamp. Made use of what you had at a time when most did not have the money to buy a plow truck and certainly did not have compact tractors with front mounted blowers. I am waiting for the storm to pass before I go out and push snow.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 14ft V plow was off an old county road grader,,the straight plow was off an old state truck...It did work well, and it did give that 4630 a work out...

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice outfit.

I could have used a back mounted blower then, but not now as I cannot turn around for long or black out.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wish I had some pictures from that winter. I had piles 8 ft. high around the driveway. Pushed them up with Dad's A and 7 ft. plow. Cabled lift off the PowerTrol arms.

Jim in rush co
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike, I also wish I had pictures from 78. I was on fire department and EMS and it took us 9 hours to go 11 miles with at patient form his home to hospital. We had to go behind a large front end loader from stone quarry. He would dig his way then back up and chain to ambulance and maybe go 50yrds unhook and do the same thing over and over. I had a friend who worked at Jefferson Proving Ground and they had mounted a large blade on a M88 tank recovery vehicle and opened up US 421 from Madison to Greensburg Indiana with it. Some of those drifts were 20+ ft.

Dean Lydey
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thursday morning as that storm hit I was 13 years old. I remember Dad telling me "you'll talk about this storm for the rest of your life!".

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tell the kids about the snow storm we had in MI in 1973. We got 3ft one night and four the next day, the drifts went over the tops of the barns. Us kids climbed to the top of the barn and sledded off the roof. Mom caught us and told us we were going to kill ourselves LOL. Had a friend got killed, he was digging tunnels in the ditch and a plow truck came by with a wing plow. The only way the search party found him was his mother tied his mittens with yarn through the sleeves and they found one of his mittens and followed the string.

pcsaw
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anybody around my neck of the woods that had anything like that the county was hiring them to clear the roads

Brownie450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Old snow plow pics from 1978 here in Ohio Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The dealer in town sold a semi-load of Lundell blowers
in 4 days that winter.
Everyone ran out of places to put the snow. Dad hired
one of the guys who bought a blower to come clean out
the driveway.

This was in Eastern Iowa. I imagine other places had
worse.
The state came by with a 1951 Ford 4-wheel drive with
a Snow Go blower.
Jim

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters