Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cultivators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the process of (trying) to lay out a set of 3pt. cultivators I will be building. Can't seem to get the spacing down. I have 37" between rear tires and 70" outside. Center of tractor to center of tire is 26 3/4". I've heard that row spacing should be same as center to center distance? If that's the case are we talking straddling 2 rows? What should the distance be +or- from outside of sweep to row? Talking mostly sweet corn. Any help would be appreciated.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Common row spacing are 30 inches, 36, 38, 40.

Most common would be 38 inches in years past, 30 inches now for big fields.

I would guess you are talking about 38 inch rows? Would probably work real good for you. Straddle 2 rows.

Typically you get the planter and everything else you set to fit it.

Their are field cultivators to work a field, and row crop cultivators to weed the rows of growing crop. You are setting up a row crop cultivator.

Paul

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you? I'm sure not near central NY. I have a 4 row rear mounted AC cultivator which I converted to three point hitch from AC snap coupler. It will probably go as scrap some day.

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul, yes it will be a crop cultivator. Did you mean 30"? I have 37" between tires. Thank you

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, I'm in the northeast corner of NY, my son lives near Oneonta.

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, I'm in the northeast corner of NY, my son lives near Oneonta.

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul, yes it will be a crop cultivator. Did you mean 30"? I have 37" between tires. Thank you

jeremy in NE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Center of tractor to the center of the rear tire should be at 30?. You will have 2 rows passing under
the tractor.

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the standard 30" rows any tractor larger than a compact will need to straddle two rows with
a wheel spacing as close to 60" center-to-center as you can get. Based on your measurements the
wheels should be slid out about 3" per side to achieve this.

Just something else to keep in mind is that the cultivator and planter have to either match in
row count or have the cultivator be some smaller divisor of the planter. For example, if you
plant four rows at a time you can cultivate one, two, or four rows. If you have a two row
planter you can only cultivate one or two rows at a time. A single row planter can only be
followed by a single row cultivator. In other words you can't have the cultivator spanning
across separate passes of the planter. If this is not followed you'll have problems because it
is impossible to get perfect row spacings between passes with the planter and you'll end up
tearing out rows.

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's! Wish I still had my old Cub. Now if could figure out why my posts are doubled?

n

n

Question Question Question Question Question

Kevin Happke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So what is the row spacing of your Planter? Can you adjust the spacing on your planter? If space
is not an issue then what you need to do is set the planter at 37 or 38 inch rows and then make the
cultivator so one row goes through under the center of the tractor like it did on the cub or any of
the IH off set tractors like A through the 140.....you could also make the tool bar long enough that
you could cultivate one row on the outside of each of the rear tires.....the easiest way to make
this cultivator is to find a old 4 row and cut down to a three row and set it up for 37 or 38 inch
rows with the center row being the center of the cultivator.....I would reccomend using a danish
shank cultivator with sweep type shovels unless you have really heavy clay soil...

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You!

Inarut
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You!

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a whole lot closer than I assumed!

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cultivators Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How would he straddle 2- 38" rows if his wheels inside are 37". He can just straddle 1- 38" row.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters