Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunbeam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drill a hole in the sender bulb that is stuck in the head screw a large metal screw in the hole and pull it out with a claw hammer.

GWheat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So does the temp sender screw into the head or does it just stick in there?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gwheat wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:38:48 01/19/19) So does the temp sender screw into the head or does it just stick in there?

Providing that you removed the threaded bushing that I told you about, it is just sitting there waiting for you to poke it with a screw driver as I told you.

GWheat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:45:54 01/19/19)
CVPost-gwheat wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:38:48 01/19/19) So does the temp sender screw into the head or does it just stick in there?

Providing that you removed the threaded bushing that I told you about, it is just sitting there waiting for you to poke it with a screw driver as I told you.

Alright so as long as I put some lined up punch marks on my distributor and neck I can just pull it off and put it back in without worrying about throwing timing off? Throwing the timing off has me a little concerned about pulling it off.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GWheat wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:24:00 01/20/19)
Alright so as long as I put some lined up punch marks on my distributor and neck I can just pull it off and put it back in without worrying about throwing timing off? Throwing the timing off has me a little concerned about pulling it off.

Not quite that simple. You'll also need to know the timing of the distributor shaft. Both the shaft and the housing need to be timed.

GWheat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which has something to do with number 1 cylinder being tdc on compression stroke and being lines up at 24 degrees on the flywheel markings? The once you drop the distributor back in line the rotor up with number one cylinder plug wire?
Not sure if I’m right or wrong here. Need all the insight I can get. Never played with a distributor.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's just rusted in there.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 62 4000. Seafoam in the gas will clean up the valves. The spring hooks to the tab on the bottom of the battery box. The tab may be rusted off. The grease behind in the starter is pretty much normal for an old tractor.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GWheat wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:24:00 01/20/19)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:45:54 01/19/19)
CVPost-gwheat wrote:

After you put it back in and the witness marks line up if it doesn't start right up with gas and spark, just post back and someone will get you to 180 degrees from where you have ended up. No big deal it comes up here at least once a month.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:15:57 01/20/19)
After you put it back in and the witness marks line up if it doesn't start right up with gas and spark, just post back and someone will get you to 180 degrees from where you have ended up. No big deal it comes up here at least once a month.

Too simplistic in my book! The shaft is a hex. Therefore if one doesn't reference the position of the rotor, as well as the distributor body upon disassembly, he/she is going to have one heck of a time getting it back in time!

GWheat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ford 4000 Repair Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sprayed it a few days back with penetrant until I could get back out to work on it. Bumped it with a screw driver and pulled it right out. Thanks for the tip!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters