Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case/IH 1440

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2underage
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at a Case/IH 1440 combine and I am seeking info on the good and bad points of these machines. The seller says it is a later model that has no issues. I have never owned one of those machines and there are none in the neighborhood. I had a long delay in getting my crops harvested this past fall because of my JD 6620 having mechanical issues so I am looking to get a backup machine for next year. Any advice or info will be appreciated.

Chris in SK
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can?t really think of too many bad points with 1440 other than the 14 series is pretty old now, so check it over well. I had one for a few years with no major issues. They are a pretty simple, reliable machine. If it?s a later 1440 it will have electric over hydraulic controls which are preferable. Cab is very basic. General wear items like rub bars, vanes and elephant ears are fairly easy to replace. I?m not sure if 14 series had rock beater, so if you have rocks you might want to check that. I don?t think a header reverser was standard on the 14?s either. Take the panel of the right side of the machine and check the pipe that the concaves hang on and its brackets are straight and no ripped out bolts.
I?ve heard they were prone to breaking the drive axle tube if you went too big with the header or bin extensions, so maybe crawl under it and take a look for cracks. Sieve/shoe bushing need to be replaced before they fail. Check the rotor has no holes punch in it. Check the rotor gearbox stays in high and low and doesn?t jump out of gear. Hydro should be smooth. Some 14?s have brake issues, so if you have hills you might want to check they are working.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-2underage wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:59:23 01/21/19) I am looking at a Case/IH 1440 combine and I am seeking info on the good and bad points of these machines. The seller says it is a later model that has no issues. I have never owned one of those machines and there are none in the neighborhood. I had a long delay in getting my crops harvested this past fall because of my JD 6620 having mechanical issues so I am looking to get a backup machine for next year. Any advice or info will be appreciated.

As the other guy said, nothing wrong with a 1440, but as long as you are not going for a lot newer unit as a backup machine, why not look for a nice 6620?

Nothing like having a couple of machines that use the same parts and maintenance items, IMHO.

2underage
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did look for a 6620 but not many available in this area [Northern NY].

2underage
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, I will use your information to inspect the machine.

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve had both a 1440 and a 1640. I ha e owned or ran most brands over the last 40 years or so, and I really liked the IH rotaries. They are easier to set up and more forgiving if not adjusted exactly correctly. My 1640 had a specialty rotor, which I liked. The standard rotor doesn?t like weds as well. I have a neighbor with a 2 year old John Deere S660, and my grain sample was as good or better than his. I have had John Derres , Gleaners, and IH. If I was to start farming again it would be with CaseIH combines. I?m not prejudiced, I have both Deere and IH tractors and like both of them. Most old combines don?t have much in the way of brakes. The electric over hydraulic controls are easier to use than the older ones.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get another JD machine or trade and buy two IH machines. Having two different brands just means you get to duplicate all the common parts plus headers. If they are the same brand you would not need two sets of headers. As for your being in NY. it does not cost that much to have combines hauled. A few thousand dollars will move a combine to you from the Mid west.

RedRoundhead
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a small farm, that I run with very old equipment.

I have 2 of most everything, lol. If one breaks, hop on the other one, lol.

As was stated, either get an additional 6620, or two older red machines of the same series. Then you have common parts, and can always swap heads if one bites the dust during harvest.

Best of luck!

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1440 is a lot simpler than the JD and it cost me $75 to build the adapter...

IowaJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with some comments down the page that you only need 1 set of heads. If you case/ih get a head adapter. You will need to make sure that the header control adapts between brands.

chcase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you like the newer machine for grain sample compared to the 1660 jic machine?

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Case/IH 1440 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The JI Case 1660 did a excellent job in all grains...the 1640 Case-IH does the same only easier with the 5.9 Cummins engine.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters