Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Harbor freight needle scaler

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Review
Untitled URL Link

Ivan in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one from there maybe 30 years ago. Mine came without the power head and it went on a pistol grip impact tool. I have used it a lot over the years and it still works rally good. I use to use it o remove built up dirt and grease where solvent would not get it off. It works great if you have to weld on rusty metal and I think it is faster that a disk grinder

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So what is your opinion?
The presenter?
The tool?
should everyone have one in his box?
How much air does one consume?
A well laid weld might present a flux overlay as a long fingernail like affair that falls away
some amatuer? attempt to cold weld some crusty dirt filled joint with 6010 may present a flux puddle of spagetti and meatballs with ground meat, or bird poop affair as he improves,
does it replace a small grinder when doing cleanup for a second pass?

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't watch the video but I bought one last year and used it on a couple very rusty truck rims and thought it did the job it was supposed to do, removing all the scale. I am happy with my purchase. My compressor did well suppling air but I have a pretty good one and a larger one if needed.

Charlie M
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same here - I have one and it worked well on a couple of rims that were rusted bad on the inside.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto. Great for irregular shapes and hard to get to places. Got one last month and wondered why I didn't get one sooner. Used it to chip the paint off the grill on my 8N.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the larger one Its not strong enoufh for me... I have worn out several that go on a air hammer/chisel they will get'er done... Its on a good air hammer tho...

On a Ford tractor they make quick work removing gaskets on the lift cover and housing were the gasket has married the parts... Used with a air hammer they make quick work on runty parts...

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one. Needs a large compressor. Only used it once. Not impressed. Wish I saved my money.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one, works great for me.

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine worked for a couple of years, and I pinched my hand with the lever and I got mad and threw it down on concrete, now it won't shut off and I have to disconnect it when I am finished. My fault. A tip. Occasionally take the tips out and grind a point on them to chip a little better. Ellis

steel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't want to sandblast some awkward places on an old tractor before priming 6-7 years ago.
My experience has been.....if it's got a motor then don't buy HF....No motor so I went for it.
13.5 CFM compressor on it and it did the job then, and still does occasionally when I use it.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SVcummins; A few years back when I had access to the welding shop at the local community college I did a side by side comparison of the Harbor Freight needle scaler I had recently purchased and the American made one owned by the college. That one was probably an Ingersoll Rand, but I can't remember for sure. Using the same air source and working on the same weld scale or rusty part, the shop's tool was better. It had more power at every setting than the Harbor Freight tool at its equivalent setting. I also used both tools on the surface of a brightly polished piece of steel plate. This was a technique I had done a lot of on art pieces to create a softer, stippled look. The Harbor Freight scaler produced a much lighter texture---too faint for my purposes, in fact. I wanted the Harbor Freight tool to be just as good as the American made one so I could do what I wanted with it at home, but it wasn't. It had less force using the same air supply, and I thought the steel of the needles seemed softer than the needles of the American made tool.

Stan

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i bought one last year to clean hard to get at tight areas of a trailer i was repainting, it did fine, got the job done and i got paid, it still works fine, so i figure any future use is a bonus

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one a couple of years ago, used it on one job it worked quite well. One of the grandsons borrowed it and I haven't seen it since.

Steve-Maine
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight needle scaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a cheap one from HF. It got a lot of scale off a tri-axle trailer before sanding blasting. Worked Ok, sure saved time on sandblasting. Just lasted long enough to do the job. I figured it was just a throw tool but got the job done.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters