Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Homemade wood stove

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with a stove made from a 55 gallon drum? I made one three years ago and the barrel is going all to H. There is pin holes all around where the adapter for the stove pipe fits on and the adapter is sinking down into the barrel. It's probably 3/4" lower now than when it was first built. Did I just get a bad barrel or is this common?

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quite common--in fact, pretty much universal. While some barrels are heavier than others, any drum stove I've ever seen (and that's quite a few) has developed leaks eventually.

Thomasthetankengine
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor had one. Lasted a good thirty years or more. Had much thicker metal than any drum I have seen today. If you are handy with a torch and a welder, truck wheels should last longer

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem you have is why I stopped using 55 gal barrel for wood stoves they only last a couple years and then they rust out. Last one I built I used a boiler tank and it has been good for over 20 years

JK2
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made one using a heavier barrel for the bottom one and a lighter one for the top one. I had it inside the old coal furnace bonnet with the bottom barrel set forward 4 or 5 inches so it stuck out of the bonnet. I also had a temp switch in the bonnet that turned the the fan on at about 110 degrees. I burned in it for 7 years and it never burned the paint off the barrels. The only reason I quit using it was that we got natural gas to use to heat with. I had welded all the joints and they still looked like when I put it together.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you tell the gauge of the barrel?

Poppa Noel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a ball mic will tell ya

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look on the bottom if I remember. There are two numbers stamped into the metal. One is the gauge of the two ends and the other is the barrel itself. There are really heavy barrels rated for a very high "burst" rough duty. Much 5hicker metal. For very heavy liquids but after thirty years I don't remember everything. There are barrel recycle yards. Check them out. you can buy several sizes and even buy stainless steel drums.

4play
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 55gal double barrel stove in my work shop, it's used everyday in the winter and going on 7 years. I don't have the heavy barrels, just cheap thin ones. I did build a metal grate that covers the bottom for wood to sit on. I bought the kit after talking to friend that has one, his is going on 15 years with no problems.

A ceiling fan above the stove, and maybe a fan on the floor to blow across the barrel will help spread the heat. I think the double barrel kit helps the heat transfer too, the upper barrel is just a large heat exchanger

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a shop stove made out of a heavy steel barrel, and it lasted ten years before needing replaced. The replacement barrel only lasted two years. As Dad said, "They don't make 'em like they used to".

I have a barrel stove out in my smokehouse that has a date on it, and I "think" it is around 1920. That rascal is HEAVY - it takes two men to move it. It's still in good shape, but it is an oddity. Funny shaped too - kinda like an old wooden barrel.

I've never used the double barrel setup.

Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made one from three Dayton style truck rims with 1/4 plate ends. It is small but big enough for my 20x 30 shop. the ends are left square and serve as legs.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are 2 I built. First one is in my shop and second one I built for a friend. Both out of propane tanks. They will be around long after I am gone. 3/8 inch thick steel.
Richard

20MuleTeam
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty neat.Pretty outstanding.

Part Time Pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice work Richard G
Pete

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade wood stove Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no idea what gauge barrel I have. Instead of a metal grate I covered the bottom of the barrel where the hot coals sit with sand. I don't have any problem with it at the bottom, it's mostly where the adapter fits on the top to accept the pipe. Then where the side of the barrel fits the end it pulling loose. I've used a whole tube of stove cement on it this year trying to make it last through this year. It's built into the building so it's not easily replaced so right now I'm thinking about what to do for next year. I built a small room around the stove kind of like a closet and at the top have a furnace blower to blow the heat into my shop.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters