PartsASAP LogoCompany Logo Auction Link (800) 853-2651

Shop Now

Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

pole barn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonerock
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

witch way do you turn a 4x6 post in the wall when you are building?

Mutt and Jeff
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Righty tighty
lefty loosey
sorry

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's normal to have the wide side face the girts, but doesn't really matter. Turned the other way you have less surface to nail the girts to. Also, with the wide side facing the girts, it's a simple matter to construct interior 2x4 walls flush with the posts.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For wind load, I have always seen the wider dimension into the building.

Paul

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its very tall I'd be using 6X6 posts.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amish have put up 4 pole buildings within a mile of me this winter, 2 had the 6" paralleled with the wall, 2 were perpendicular. I suspect as Mark said it depends on what's going to be done on the inside? One would have to think that the building is going to be stronger as for wind loads with the 6" dimension perpendicular.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You want the wide in/out because the steel will provide lateral support on the narrow side.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

most building collapses due to wind is a sideways movement of the walls--very few collapses happen in the long dimension, so it is beneficial to have the strongest part of the post resisting the sideways movement--the long side perpendicular to the wall.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed - and that's even if its not very tall.

coshoo
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You turn it into a 6 X 6.

ed will
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used 6x6. Cost difference is negligible. I had a chuckle with mutt and jeffs comment. Ed Will Oliver BC

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree. Build it right and use 6x6's, cost isn't that much more and you have a much stronger building.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While most of you do not have codes to follow I have never seen a code that allows 4x6. Another place people skimp is the under the post footer.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Regarding using 6x6 versus 4x6 posts: The post is sized to support the weight of the building. 4x6 posts seem to be standard for 24 foot wide buildings, but 30 foot buildings go to 6x6. Obviously there's nothing wrong with using heavier posts than necessary, other than it gets harder to set the post the bigger it is.

Although the posts will have slightly greater resistance to wind loads if the narrow side faces the outside, the building really doesn't rely on the shear strength of the posts for wind resistance. The structure of the building is basically a big truss, and wind forces are distributed around the building by the siding, girts, bracing and roof trusses.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: pole barn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can give you yet another option. When we built our 40x100 shed I used a crew that did nothing but pole barns. Pretty much everyone knows them around here and they have a strong reputation. They and others told me that on 6x6 pressure treated lumber, the chemical does not penetrate the post to the center creating a situation where you can have rot up thru the post. We went with a post that is made by laminating 2x6 boards together...3 wide. The boards that go below grade are treated and those above are regular dimension lumber. I liked this because I have 2x6 treated poultry pens that have been in the ground for 20+ years and still solid. The posts are made for barns and are supposed to be stronger than a traditional post. I like them so far. We have 16' side walls. Some of the end posts were really long. The link attached is an example. I cannot remember the source of ours.
Similar to these.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters