Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best paint and technique for Farmall H

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV2000
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After a couple months of waiting, I am finally going to be getting my Farmall H hauled home this coming weekend (hopefully).

I want to repaint the entire tractor, but I really have no experience with painting things, especially tractors. My grandfather has painted lots of things, and he said he will help me, but I want to get some tractor specific advice.

Basically, what kind of paint and technique do you guys recommend for repainting a Farmall H? I will be repanting the sheet metal, the frame, engine, and all the small parts. I was thinking that an air compressor and a paint sprayer would be the method to use, but I really have no idea.

As for the paint brand, I have seen some paint advertised as Farmall Red, but I am not sure if that will give me the best looking tractor. I want something nice and shiny that looks original and will make the tractor look pretty. Basically, what brand and type of paint would you recommend, and what is the best way to apply the paint?

Thank you very much, this forum has been absolutely indispensable for me.

John

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paint would be the last thing to do. You need to attend to any fixing of things first. Don't want to scrape up that new paint fixing little things.

JohnV2000
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-caterpillar guy wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:12:50 02/11/19) Paint would be the last thing to do. You need to attend to any fixing of things first. Don't want to scrape up that new paint fixing little things.

Good point. I am going to wait until the summer to paint, and hopefully by late summer I will have the other things fixed. I am just tying to get ahead of the game with the paint question, I will fix the other things first.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only way you're going to get an acceptably smooth finish on the sheet metal is by spraying. The only way you're going to get paint into a lot of the nooks and crannies on that tractor without going insane is by spraying.

You learn how to run the gun on the cast parts, then transition over to the sheet metal.

Lots of paint choices, but the "2150" paint from the CaseIH dealer is about the best mix of color match, durability, easy application. Stay away from the "Majic" garbage at Tractor Supply.

Also stay away from hardener, at least until you educate yourself on the dangers of breathing isocyanates. Some will tell you they drink hardener straight from the can with their orange juice at breakfast, and/or that they wear a respirator and/or paint outside and they're just fine. However, some people are sensitive/allergic to it, and you won't know until you get the slightest whiff of the stuff and it puts you in the hospital with lung damage. Respirators do not stop the fumes from hardener. You need a special breathing apparatus to safely apply paint with the hardener mixed.

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give you my experience. I took my H apart as far as I could, took all the parts off, sand-blasted / scraped / wire-brushed / flat-scraper scraped / sandpapered etc everything down to bare metal, then spray primered everything with whatever rattle-can I could find, red, brown, etc. Then I painted with spray cans of Van Sickle IHC red, and watched as it all developed a white film. Color was sorta close, but not really. Didn't like the Van S at all. Just sitting in the barn, it developed a white film. Not outside. Went to the IHC dealer, got the authentic IHC-74556-N rattle cans, or some such number. Was advised that color, was advised that number, and was advised to buy a 6-pack so the lot numbers would match. Painted, and I love it. Color matches the new Farmalls on the dealers lot. If I scrape it, I can touch it up anytime. Wins awards in every Christmas parade for last 11 years.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH 2150. For best results the sheet metal should be done with a spray application, but believe it or not, the rattle cans will do an excellent job. ALL of the cast iron can be painted with a brush. A GOOD brush, and do not thin the paint.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Super M has IH dealer 2150, was about 50 bucks a gallon. The Super C has urethane $$$$$ close to thirty years ago.

Loren in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with caterpillar guy. Do all your maintenance, drive it around, find all the leaks,
and fix them, before you paint.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the 2150, personally I would wait to paint it until you can shed it,

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JohnV2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:35:06 02/11/19) After a couple months of waiting, I am finally going to be getting my Farmall H hauled home this coming weekend (hopefully).

I want to repaint the entire tractor, but I really have no experience with painting things, especially tractors. My grandfather has painted lots of things, and he said he will help me, but I want to get some tractor specific advice.

Basically, what kind of paint and technique do you guys recommend for repainting a Farmall H? I will be repanting the sheet metal, the frame, engine, and all the small parts. I was thinking that an air compressor and a paint sprayer would be the method to use, but I really have no idea.

As for the paint brand, I have seen some paint advertised as Farmall Red, but I am not sure if that will give me the best looking tractor. I want something nice and shiny that looks original and will make the tractor look pretty. Basically, what brand and type of paint would you recommend, and what is the best way to apply the paint?

Thank you very much, this forum has been absolutely indispensable for me.

John

A spray gun is absolutely the only way to go.

Not to ruffle feathers, but everyone is welcome to their own opinion and mine is that you should ignore anyone promoting you finish your tractor either with rattle cans or with unhardened paint. If you cannot spray the hardened paint safely, you should find someone with the equipment that can or pony up the $400 for a fresh air respirator and sell it when you are done. You could likely find someone with a booth to rent as well.

The IH paint is not bad paint WITH hardener added. It is realistically a step up from the worst paints you could choose for a restoration (i.e. Rustoleum, Majic, the "super premium" Van Sickle paint). It is in my opinion a 10-12 year paint job and this is based off of real experience, using hardener and good primers and prep. You might get it to last longer if it never goes outside and stays waxed every 3 months...

Van Sickle also makes an acrylic enamel which I tried on the last job and it seems like a good product so far. Much nicer to spray than the IH 2150 and excellent coverage but I have no LONG term experience as of yet and you should double-check the color with any product to make sure it is acceptable to you.

There are loads of posts on here for Crossfire/PPG/Nason paint codes for IH50 and 2150 and what years these codes correspond to. Find your local jobbers and see what lines they have and what they can mix for you. Find some mail order places and see if they will send you spray out chips or if they have a match.

Oregon Tractor Jack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As already stated, strip the tractor down. Have the sheet metal sandblasted buy someone that knows how to do sheet metal. Scrape, wire brush and de-grease the whole thing. Replace all of the grease seals on the entire tractor. Nothing is worse than spending a ton of time and money to paint a tractor just to have oil running out of it. Gun spray the sheet metal. If you have limited access to spraying equipment you can brush all the cast iron if you are careful. I have brush painted a bunch of tractors in the past. You should only paint a small area at a time. Watch for runs and again watch for runs. With a quality paint brush you can get a pretty good result. I think I have painted four tractors this way and they all look like trailer queens. Red paint is the worst paint there is. It is the most expensive due to the pigments that are in it and it fades the worst. I would look at acrylic enamel paints. Either an industrial or automotive paint. They are more expensive but are well worth it in the long run.

Good Luck and have fun,

OTJ

Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have gotten some very good advice on this forum. For me, painting is an art and takes patience and practice. I have painted some things, but tractors with long term sentimental value, I take them to a professional painter. I have had good luck the DuPont Imron. It has been around for quite awhile, and I suppose some will say there are better but there is Imron Elite. It does require high end respirators, etc., and I do not recommend it for the beginner. Some auto paint guys say it is hard to apply but I don't know. Give it a little time and you will forget about the cost. And as durable as it is, you will have a lot of time. With a cheap paint, you will end up doing it again in a few years and regretting you ever did used a cheap paint in the first place. Good luck!!

Pete5959
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My last and final restoration was done 6 years ago. Used IH 2150 with hardener. It looks as good today as the day I painted it. It is kept inside when not being played with.
r/
Pete in NC

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is an old tractor with many things that need attention. Don't paint it until you have gone through it, brakes, dist., front end bolster wobble, there is no
end to it. I just painted the tin on my last M, and I bought it in 1985. Good Luck, Ellis

JohnV2000
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint and technique for Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not know that hardener was that dangerous.

There really is no way to use hardener except to buy an expensive respirator?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters