Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Will I be able to plow field that has tree roots?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Will I be able to plow field that has tree roots? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put in a lot of deer plots under in similar places,the first year I like to start disking early in the year and see if I can kill off the trees and bushes.Then before I plant anything I run a sub soiler around the outer edge of the plot cut off any roots coming in the plot from surrounding trees.This can be quite a chore and will sometimes pull up some big roots.Then I'll try to
subsoil in the plot but mostly just disk it with a heavy off set disk.Usually I have put on lime early on and when I plant I mix the seed with fertilizer and broadcast then disk lightly and
culitpack.Most times I get a very good stand, the 2nd year I subsoil or chisel plow the whole plot the stumps and roots break down pretty fast.Letting the roots stay in the ground and rot is better than digging them out and having to deal with them in my opinion.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Will I be able to plow field that has tree roots? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know its not as much fun! But I would
just spray with Round up 2 4 D and Brush
killer. Then rent a no-till drill from
your local USDA office. Ours has a 7' one
plus other tools. If you go slow, plowing
will go ok.

oleclint
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I be able to plow field that has tree roots? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find an old clunker of a ONE WAY DISK plow, pull type or 3 pt. I have a 3 pt and worked over 2 acres of fresh cleared land with a dozer.A disk plow will roll over roots and rock.
When rolling , it will slice and cut the roots. In one or two yrs they will be rotted away.
Drive slow as to not break the blades. Never plugged up once. clint

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Will I be able to plow field that has tree roots? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I typically just disc up food plots and dont plow them. Cut it short, disc it, drag with a toothed harrow, spread seed/fertilizer, do a final drag to cover, and call it good.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters