Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

rubber deterioration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have just finished installing new brakes on a Farmall SMTA. I bought new rubber boots to keep dirt from getting into the new brakes. I replaced these boots about 4 years ago and they were already rotten. What can I put on the new ones to keep them from rotting? The tractor does not sit outside. Thanks, Ellis

tractorsam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This will sound really weird but I?ve experienced exactly the same rubber deterioration issue as you although most of my stuff is outside. I?ve had a couple of pieces that got painted though and they seem to be holding up really well. So I?m going to try painting any new rubber parts I put on. Sam

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Waxing them with a paraffin based wax prevents the rubber double carbon bonds from ozone in the air. If you weld in the same indoor location the ozone will be extreme. Jim

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something is going on within the rubber industry. I've experienced the same thing, rubber products across the line having very short life expectancy.

Look at tires, expiration dates, sell by dates. They used to last for many, many years, now they start cracking in a couple years.

I recently bought a set of torch hoses. They were gone in 2 years! The ones they replaced were probably 30-40 years old!

Trouble is, no way to tell, even when looking at the product, if it will hold up.

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a pair of rubber buckle up boots to go over my work boots and they didn't even last one winter. Ellis

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:43:09 02/16/19) Something is going on within the rubber industry. I've experienced the same thing, rubber products across the line having very short life expectancy.

Look at tires, expiration dates, sell by dates. They used to last for many, many years, now they start cracking in a couple years.

I recently bought a set of torch hoses. They were gone in 2 years! The ones they replaced were probably 30-40 years old!

Trouble is, no way to tell, even when looking at the product, if it will hold up.

"Made in China"

steve706
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: rubber deterioration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dow Corning 4 electrical insulating compound (DC 4) works really well on rubber, we use it on rubber aircraft seals and it keeps them in excellent condition as it slows the breakdown caused by ozone, only drawback is that as it?s greasy, it collects dust.
For larger rubber surfaces a product called Pbs Boot Sealant by Jet Stream Aviation Products works extremely well as it?s designed to restore and preserve leading edge de-icing boots on aircraft. The stuff also works well on old tractor steering wheels bringing them back from being dull and worn to being a nice smooth shiny black.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters