Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Using 20v on 18v grinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

20v kicks grinder into overdrive

wrenchere85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makes it usable now. Until I got my 20 volt battery and adapter my DeWalt grinder was worthless.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I once ran a 110 V Milwaukee on 220 V took a little while to figure out the old shop had a regular outlet wired up to 220. That grinder really ran good ! didn't seem to hurt it as it still works years later.

GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had good 18v batteries. Got 20v batteries for leaf blower. So I decided to buy adapter don't think I'll be buying anymore 18v.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How difficult is it to switch the 20V adapter between tools?

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me repeat what I have heard

20V Max Vs 18V: Running the Numbers
Milwaukee Battery Cutout

Inside your battery pack are the individual battery cells. In an 18V/20V Max system, they are always set in groups of 5 wired in a series. Each group of 5 is then wired in parallel to increase the number of amp hours and overall battery capacity in watt hours. For more on that, check out our feature on Voltage Vs. Amp Hours.

Each one of those battery cells has two voltage ratings ? nominal and maximum. The amount of voltage that a battery produces when fully charged is higher than when it begins to discharge, even slightly. It?s actually a chemical characteristic of the lithium-ion system. Each battery cell has a nominal voltage of 3.6 volts and a maximum voltage of just over 4 volts.

3.6 volts (nominal) x 5 cells = 18 volts

4 volts (maximum) x 5 cells = 20 volts

That?s it. That?s the entire difference in 18V vs 20V Max batteries. It?s only a matter of whether the company is using nominal voltage or maximum voltage as their rating.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
A couple of years ago I posted about the difference (or lack thereof) between Dewalt 20V Max and Dewalt 18V XR tools, but there is still a lot of confusion about what Dewalt 20V Max really means.

In the most simplistic terms, Dewalt 20V Max = 18V. These aren?t 20V battery packs, they?re 18V battery packs.

If you didn?t already know this, don?t worry, it?s not just you. 4-1/2 years later, lots of people still assume 20V Max is more powerful than 18V.

I have yet to determine whether there are more people that know what 20V Max means, or more people that assume 20V Max is more powerful than 18V.

If you are first learning that 20V Max and 18V are the same, don?t feel too bad, you?re probably still in the majority.

When Dewalt first launched their 20V Max lineup with 20V Max branding, their marketing exec said it was to ?avoid confusion.? They said that the intent was to differentiate the new tools from previous 18V tools so that users would know they were not backwards compatible.
the first paragraph is from here

GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The adapter fits 20v batteries so it will
fit inside 18v tools

GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Perhaps the difference is the new 20v batteries maintain their voltage under load where my old 18 v don't.

I'll measure voltage on both 18 an 20v tomorrow.

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

john *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:30:39 01/26/19) How difficult is it to switch the 20V adapter between tools?

The adapter just plugs into 18 volt tools like the battery does.

The adapter, two batteries (2 aH) and a 20v charger sells for around $120. The adapter alone runs about $30.

Tip: If you decide to go that route. Remove the battery from the adapter when not in use. Otherwise the battery will go dead. And not all tools are safe to use with the 20v adapter.

GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Easy as changing an 18v battery.

Bill in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a cheap 20v adapter think it was made by waitly or something like that. It does not drain the batteries as reported by the dewalt adapter and the battery does not come off at an angle like the dewalt one. It is a bear to get it off the tool but swapping the 20v batteries is easy. I plan to get a couple more and leave the adapters on the tool. Best part is using the 5ah batteries doubling what the old 18v xrp packs would do.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Dewalt tool tracking battery Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

https://www.dewalt.com/jobsite-solutions/tool-connect

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years back a friend gave me a Skil 1/4" rechargable drill, probably one of the first they made back in the 70's, I think 6 or 9 volt. It worked fairly well for a few months and died. I tore it apart and took the little batteries out and wired in a few feet of lamp cord and a couple alligator clips. Put it back together and hooked it up to a 12v battery. Wow! All the sudden I had a real drill! That thing lasted for years and years. I think voltage is less of an issue than how hard you work it. You can burn out any electric motor if you try hard enough.

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 20v on 18v grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 20v max tools are also brushless, so they will be a little more powerful.

I would hate to see the size of the 18v battery pack needed to get 1200 ft lb out of a brushed impact for more than a couple minutes.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters