Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

The internet as a tool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess what...
your safe secret googoo duk and hidden por searches are still in your history for the wifey to find

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Mutt and Jeff wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:19:52 02/18/19) Guess what...
your safe secret googoo duk and hidden por searches are still in your history for the wifey to find

Not here. All cookies and history deleted when the browser closes, except for what I choose to remain. It's not (yet) as tight as I want it to be, but getting there.

Besides, wifey never gets on the PC. *lol*

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The internet as a tool...

Since October,1996,I had to accept the Internet as part of my Tool Chest.

As a Retired Power Engineer ...Gas Turbine / Aero Derivative... I enjoy seeing the world on others bank accounts ,checking off the to do list..Smile

Bob...

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No matter what search engine you use, they track where you go, even the ones that claim not to.

kwright
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-TomA wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:20:07 02/18/19) I use startpage

X2...

Fred Werring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I built my shop 5-6 years ago one of the first things to go in was a PC.

Between Google, youtube, parts sites, this site, I figure I can fix just about anything

DMartin9N-2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, M-J:
I use Dogpile search engine, it brings in a smaller number of addresses than Google. I have no use for two million answers to my search, Dogpile brings back enough for me. It is free. I like using free tools, providing other folks have tried them out first.

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well maybe this will help then.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1652044/000165204418000007/goog10-kq42017.htm

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dogpile was mine before google even became googlesk

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get your pharmacy club card.
Your grocery card
your credit card
your wifi
the triple play
your cable the satellite the phone
evrything you do tracks you
don't drive your car it tracks you and your actions
do not leave the hose there are cameras everywhere they are all connected to everythin mentioned above

your toaster talks to amazon your toilet know which charmin you squeeze

do not dare hold and carry a smart phone even the basic flip phone records your whereabouts and actions

that tractor plots your fields and sends data

every purchase and action is followed and tracked

NEEENER NEEENER

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And I suppose you use some invisable internet service
even the hidden IP virtual network thing tracks everything you do and by buying into some false security to hide from one through another
you sign off on perhaps the worse of 2 evils.

No one in the mob wins

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dang, I'd forgotten all about Dogpile!

You gottsa good memory.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing that helps (a LOT!) with the tracking is having your browser set to delete cookies/history/etc upon closing, then close out browser and open it again to visit each different site.

Of course, any site that you have to 'Log In' on will still identify you. A static IP also identifies you, but there are ways to change your IP, at least from all but your ISP. A good VPN (Virtual Private Network) works....to a point. But the company with said VPN will still know who you are, as you have to Log In to their services.

I'm working on another idea. Am setting up a bootable flash drive with Linux and will soon be using that most of the time. I doubt I'll ever "totally" move away from Windows, but would surely like to. Anyway, the Linux flash drive would be set up to delete ALL cookies and memory upon closing down -- which means sites could be tracked within each session, but there wouldn't be a continuous tracking file. Then again, they (whoever 'they' is) can still follow you according to what sites you normally visit, even if you don't log in. ...I mean, how many people in my area (gee, that's just 'ME" *lol*) will go to Youtube and search for tractor vids? Sometimes I'll log in to Youtube, but not usually.

There are steps anyone can take to lessen the amount of tracking that they incur online. But the ONLY way to not be tracked at all is simply to not be online.....EVER! And while the wife has a smart(azz) phone, it never gets turned on unless we need to check something or are waiting for a specific call while in town.

So, what's the point of this long, pointless post? Hmm....what IS the point?? Oh, got it! While there's no way to completely stop tracking while online, there are steps one can take to limit how much information each entity has. Google will have some info (undoubtedly), your ISP, your browser, sites you log into, sites you visit within the same session, etc, etc. The inconvenience of trying to limit tracking simply prevents all that information from being all in one file......for now. With technology growing so quickly, I see a future where one day your medical provider (and the gov't Shocked) will know when-and-how-much you go to the bathroom, what and how much you eat, etc. Technology will eventually be the absolute end of Personal Privacy.

1948CaseVAI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another vote for duckduckgo. It does not track you.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters