Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2010 Crawler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDJD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?m looking at a John Deere 2010 crawler for sale. They want $2,000, it runs but needs engine work. Any advice about it?
Thanks.

Newt Miller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run away as fast as you can poorest crawler ever built

pinball
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

john those engine can be quite expensive. sleeves comes in a set. if you damage on sleeve then you have to replace them all and that set is very hard to find. there design has an o ring at the bottom of the sleeves. over time they have been known to start leaking that will result in antifreeze getting in to the oil. on my 2010 when I changed the oil I would always do it slow to see how much antifreeze I would get. I always got couple table spoons. I think the 45 combine had the same motor. so it never did increase. the reverser made it a good operating machine. about 50 horsepower. I sold mine several years ago. I have had 40, 420, 440, 1010, and 2010 dozers. at one time they were good property to have as there were fairly collectable but no now. I have vowed never to buy one unless some one has restored it and new what they were doing. I have an older allis h4 machine. lot better built than the jd. as far as the one you are looking at a lot depends on whether you can do the work your self and what is wrong with the motor. good luck either way you. norm in cold missouri

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on exactly whats wrong with it, what shape the undercarriage is in and the rest of the overall condition. If it's not running, it's worth scrap price at worst and whatever you can get if you part it out. It is not the worst crawler ever built by any stretch, but it isn't the best either. It won't cost much more to rebuild it than any other similar crawler, but it won't have much resale value because so many people who have never run one or had anything to do with one have bashed them from their bar stool. The sleeve deck liner system is an odd duck, but if you have to do all 4 sleeves in anything it's not going to be cheap. If it's got a good undercarriage (that means a lot more than just looking at the grousers on the pad- do your research) and the tranny and the rest is good, it might be worth it. But you better go in with your eyes wide open before you pay for one that isn't in running condition. You can buy a running Cat D2 near me for about that much, a lot more machine.

2x4
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rebuilt one in 1980. cost then about

rebuilt the diesel engine in 1980 for $650. Not a hard job to do. Rebuilt engine started on the first crank tho. Caught us by surprise & blew oil all over our manual. Oil was from lubricating the cylinders.

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just for info, prices for the parts for those engines have changed some in about 40 years. JD's current price for the sleeve plate alone is more than your engine job was. JD parts shows the diesel sleeve plate for $2000+ and close to $1000 for the gas sleeve plate, those are just the plates. I know the prices seen on line aren't always the same from dealer to dealer, but I doubt they vary that much.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I paid about a grand when I rebuilt my 1010 gas. It's not cheap, but it's not like you're going to get sleeves for a Deere for $20 each anywhere.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they were junk from day one RUN

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD dealer told me "the 2010 was the worst tractor JD ever built.". He said" they rank right up there with the N Ford's as being the worst ever built".

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-hd6gtom wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:29:37 02/20/19) JD dealer told me "the 2010 was the worst tractor JD ever built.". He said" they rank right up there with the N Ford's as being the worst ever built".

Ever owned one or run one? I do and have. Not the greatest thing ever, but a heck of a lot better than a shovel and wheelbarrow.

TDJD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok here?s the update. The tracks are good and the transmission is good. It does have a 6 way blade. The engine problem is that it?s blowing antifreeze it the cylinders. No water in the oil, it does smoke white. The head was just rebuilt, but it might be warped. The rest of the engine is good.
Thanks for all the response.

TDJD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to tell you, it?s a diesel. And he wants $1,600.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 Crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's your decision. The diesels don't have as good a rep as the gassers, at least in relative terms since the 1010/2010 have lousy reps in the first place. To me, it sounds like a head gasket problem or as you said a warped head. Again, undercarriage condition is everything in a crawler. If you're 100% certain that the under carriage and tranny are good the crawler is worth way more than $1600.00 parted out. If I were you I'd go to the forum at JD Crawlers and talk to them. They specialize in older JD crawlers. http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/index.php

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters