Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

procedures to remove axle to replace inner seal G13801 seal. The large nut and retaining pin end of axle shaft inside differential would have to be removed. Looks like inner bearing
inside inner end of axle housing needs to be removed prior to removing the axle.Wanted to know what others have done to replace the inner seal. Small leak outer end of axle shaft and will replace outer seal G10346 if I decide to take things apart.
Have included diagrams of parts from parts manual for the tractor

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why do you think the the inner seal has failed,is there oil leaking out on to the wheel?,if it is it would be the seal,if it's leaking out of the brake housing it's a different problem.
AJ

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ,
Very slight leak out the end of the right axle shaft. Just enough to collect dirt on the inner wheel. It has leaked for a long time just thought I would take the time to make repairs since being retired I now have the time.
Chris

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure that the the transaxle is not over filled as its a fairly big job to pull the trumpet (halfshaft housing) to replace the inner seal,the bull gear retaining nut has to be removed,the bull gear stays where it is while trumpet is removed,then the shaft is is removed from the trumpet,to gain access to the inner seal,no doubt the bearings will need replacing due to age as well as the outer seal,do not depend on the hydraulics to hold the machine up while you work under it bock it up securely on wood or proper stands that can carry the weight,straight forward job with no special tools required only muscle and common sense .
Good luck
AJ

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ
Thanks for the suggestions
Chris

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ
I have a parts manual for a 580 Super E. Interesting
to me that case used the same bearings , seals, trumpet, and bull gear set up as used on my 320 case. Case did add a zero fitting to the outside axle bearing. Do not know the year of the
580 Super E Loader Backhoe but much newer than my 1957 case 320

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The E series machine was about 85 to 88, all the machines from the start used the same/similar Case transaxle up to about 88 when the 580K changed over to Carraro, I would not worry about the grease zerk some had and others had not,your slight leak,take the weight off the wheel,check the bearings by trying to rock the wheel with a long pry bar,if you feel any play you can adjust it by that nut on the inner end of the shaft,check the transaxle for any breather it may have and make sure they are not blocked,you may feel I am trying to discourage replacing the seal,I am,if it's a little leak and unless you are roading the machine a lot it is unlikely it will cause a problem,if it's a bad leak it will have to be done,it's an awkward rotten job.
AJ

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aj,

I Was thinking about picking the wheel off the ground and rocking the wheel to see if there is any play in the bearings. Great idea about tightening the inside large nut. Leak is very small, just noticed several years ago that inside of wheel and outside of axle housing is dark from small amount of leaked 90wt. We have two places 12 miles apart. Just sold the ond place so no more need to move the tractor. I always had it hauled just to be safe. Notice that most of the newer backhoes generally drive down the road at considerable speed.
Thanks again for your knowledge. Don't know what part of the US you live but we live in Seattle, Wa. and have some property in the San Juan islands. Tractor is at out place on the island.
100 miles from where we live. I will check play in the rear wheel bearing next time I am on the island.
Chris

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am the other side of the pond London UK, such a little leak is not worth bothering about and a machine with that amount of years done is entitled to have a few leaks it stops them from rusting,lots of French built Case backhoes here,used a lot by owner drivers doing the never ending utility work around the city,I come in contact with them being in the repair business since your machine was new way back.
AJ

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ,
Small world with communication we have. A lot of JCB backhoes here
Are they built in the UK!? Saw some when My Wife and I were in
Paris some time ago
Do you have tractors? I certainly agree the old 320 has earned the
right to have a few leaks

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A.J,
One of the tractors I have is a 1948 TE 20.. It has a 4 cylinder continental
engine, Lucas starter, Delco-Remy distributor, and a Delco
alternator I installed plus solid state ignition
Name plate says Standard company
Some or all of it put together in England. Many parts the same as
used on. Ford 8n. 3 point developed by Ferguson
A very fine little tractor

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing inner axle seal G13801 Case 320 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes JCB is made here, no I don't own any machinery anymore,the Ferguson TE20 (TE means tractor England) would have been made in Coventry England by the Standard motor company,it should have the Standard engine with Lucas electrics but things get changed around as parts get hard to find,the TO (tractor overseas) series would have the Continental engine,Ferguson has a big following world wide,there are several forums on line,do a Google and it will bring them up.
Regards AJ

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters