Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Transmission Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I was plowing the driveway my TD-14A stopped. It had come out of 2nd gear. After a couple of tries, I've determined that it will not stay in gear. 1st & 3rd are OK. I just showed my total knowledge of the transmission by spelling it correctly. Can anything be done from up top without removing everything from the ROPS down including the plate covering the back end of the tractor?

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you hold it in gear

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If so your dent ball spring might be broke

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot hold it in gear! I checked the fluid level and it is over the full mark. It looks like a thick vanilla drink. Given that I've never changed transmission fluid in anything that I've owned or operated on the farm years ago, I don't think I'll start on this one. With that said, I'm back to my original question.

Vic

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can be anything that's worn causing the problem and the most likely thing that the gear is worn or the bearing that carries the shaft,then again it could be the selector fork or the selector gate,see that there is nothing fouling the shift lever,you will probably have to take the top off to av a look to see what's wrong.
AJ

hector gemme
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If only the second gear is come out it is not interlock this gear have to be change

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Marloweg wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:30:00 02/26/19) If so your dent ball spring might be broke

I cannot find a "dent ball spring" or any other spring in the -14A parts catalog.

Vic

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-hector gemme wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:32:28 02/27/19) If only the second gear is come out it is not interlock this gear have to be change

If second gear is bad, can I change it without pulling the transmission?

Vic

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ. wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:16:25 02/27/19) Can be anything that's worn causing the problem and the most likely thing that the gear is worn or the bearing that carries the shaft,then again it could be the selector fork or the selector gate,see that there is nothing fouling the shift lever,you will probably have to take the top off to av a look to see what's wrong.
AJ

What are you calling the top---the gear shifter housing or the main frame cover (as listed in parts catalog TC-42C pages 139-142)? I'm attempting to figure out just what has to be removed to do anything at all to the transmission. If something can be done by removing only the gear shifter housing, that eliminates removing the ROPS and fuel tank, for example.

Vic

Vic

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The transmission is built into the frame and the only way to carry out repairs is through the top,usually the top cover is under the shifter lever,you will have to have access to it and remove anything that's in the way,I cannot remember exactly what has to be removed,those 14A's came out in 1949 so it's not easy for me to recall the details,the shafts from the gearbox come out through the clutch housing,and simply anything that's in the way has to be removed,go over to the IH site Red Power at the link below,those guy's live for IH stuff.
AJ
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ. wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:25:13 02/28/19) The transmission is built into the frame and the only way to carry out repairs is through the top,usually the top cover is under the shifter lever,you will have to have access to it and remove anything that's in the way,I cannot remember exactly what has to be removed,those 14A's came out in 1949 so it's not easy for me to recall the details,the shafts from the gearbox come out through the clutch housing,and simply anything that's in the way has to be removed,go over to the IH site Red Power at the link below,those guy's live for IH stuff.
AJ
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php

One reason I'm here is that I posted the problem in "Red Power" and to date have not received one response.

Vic

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmm I have noticed that before with the guy that his loader would not move,the problem is the guy's that know those old machines are passing on and the new generation don't want to know unless it's got EMU's and all the other computer crap, behind the engine you have the clutch then the transmission,to repair a transmission needs the skill of a heavy equipment mechanic that is used to doing that type of work,if the layman attempts the very least you need is a service manual and a decent set of tools,common sense prevails that anything in the way has to be removed,the most important thing is to establish what's wrong before tearing things apart,every second post on here is about guys throwing in new parts and still getting no result,it makes the job very expensive and a lot of work for nothing so it is important to establish what's wrong.
AJ

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ. wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:32:51 03/01/19) Hmm I have noticed that before with the guy that his loader would not move,the problem is the guy's that know those old machines are passing on and the new generation don't want to know unless it's got EMU's and all the other computer crap, behind the engine you have the clutch then the transmission,to repair a transmission needs the skill of a heavy equipment mechanic that is used to doing that type of work,if the layman attempts the very least you need is a service manual and a decent set of tools,common sense prevails that anything in the way has to be removed,the most important thing is to establish what's wrong before tearing things apart,every second post on here is about guys throwing in new parts and still getting no result,it makes the job very expensive and a lot of work for nothing so it is important to establish what's wrong.
AJ

I know exactly what you're talking about! I grew up poor on a small dairy farm in the -40s & -50s. Broken equipment got fixed, not replaced. I was on another forum seeking advice concerning a drone flight simulator display. One of the first answers I got was: "Your computer is old---get a new one". There is a third generation machinist in town who will understand my problem and decide if he can help. I'll listen to him.

Vic

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters