Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1957 case 320 TLB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When Case put together the case 320 TLB was it designed with the correct components? That is was the platform tractor used ( I think a case 300) heavy enough regarding rear axles, diffrentials, and front end parts?
Picture is just like my 1057 case 320. Case Nutty provided the picture. Mine has been used on the farm for such things as: clearing fence lines with the backhoe, digging ditches , and piling brush for burning with my home built thumb. Case 320 I have, seems to handle the backhoe and front loader well without problems.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case had already been making industrial units for many many years when teh 300 round nose above was mated with the ATC hoe in 1956 so they knew how to beef up certain areas for this more severe service than a normal farm tractor has, that said they knew there wa huge demand for loader units and also had been making them for a number years already as well, so yes the 310 and the loader on it was indeed made for each other, the backhoe just happened to be a perfect fit, and of course they always have continued to improve on this first model, Case sold Steam engines setup for road/construction work also

cnt

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CaseNutty,
Thank you for your he information. Since my 320 is still working king after 60 years certainly agree that the Case company
planned to make a good match with the 300 tractor plus
loader and backhoe
Looking at a parts manual for a 580 Super E Loader/Backhoe
Differential , axles, and axle housings look the same as
used on my 320.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing but the name is the same on a 580E compared to your 320, 580E is a component machine, meaning it has a one piece subframe that the loader and back backhoe mounting points are one piece, the transaxle can be dropped out of them in no time, this made a lot stronger machine than the way the 310-580B machines were made by them bolting on the loader and hoe to a existing tractor frame, again Case pioneered this design in the 680's another reason Case is the leader in tlb's, they did however use the knowledge they learned starting in 1956 to continue to improve on the design.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty,

I certainly agree with You that nothing but the name on a 580E is the same as on my 320. I was referring to a diagram of the trumpet ( axle housing) on the 580 E and the same diagram of similar parts on my 320. and the two bearings on the axle and two seals: one bearing on the inside plus seal, plus a bearing on the outside plus seal.
Thanks for sharing knowledge
Chris At this stage of my life and use I make of the 320 think I am better off with 320 I have as I think it is a much simplier machine than the 580E

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty:
Have talked to several case tractor industrial repairmen : A variety of ways case industrial repairmen remove the rear axle to replace seals, races, and cones:
l. use of a special bearing puller-tried to find a picture of the puller but could not find a picture: Put the axle housing with axle inside the housing on shop floor and hit the axle flange hard with a 20 lb. sledge to remove axle from housing. Remove nut from end of axle shaft inside differential, put a heavy bar up against the axle end and hit is with a heavy hammer and then remove axle from housing ( trumpet from differential)
burn cone and race out with a torch then remove the axle.I imagine You are aware of all of these methods to replace seals, races, bearings on a rear axle housing

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do it how you want I sure as heck NEVER had to use a hammer to hit the axle to remove, I would guess I have removed a couple hundred of them over the years, when you sell as many as we did you learn to repair them as fast as possible but in the same token repair them the Best way you can, the seal replacement you speak of I can do in far less than 30 min from the time it is in the shop until its out the door, I can split a 580CK/580B in less than one hour to get access to a power shuttle, its not that they go out often its that I had so many running you always had something being done in the shop, hitting a cast axle with a big hammer to me sounds pretty stupid as there is zero need to do for removal. Most of the 580's we sold went into Oil Field's here, I can tell you a rough neck can tear up a anvil with a rubber hammer, I seen about any kind of failure caused by abuse you could ever do to a machine,, I ave seen them with less than 10 hours on the tach be hauled on trailers with no chains and repaired them after they came off at 60 mph, seen rearends burned up from them changing the oil and forgetting to tighten the drain plugs then towing them behind a two ton truck with the loader bucket chained to the truck be going down the road at 55 mph,, thats just two of the thousands of dumb things I have seen done,

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty,
I have decided to leave the seal alone. Imagine when parts for customer machines are broken during disassembly new parts are probably readily available. Hitting parts with a maul to disassembly things has never been my way to repair equipment.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty
A Case Construction repair person from a Case shop in Oregon told me:
" We have a special tool to remove the bearing in order to remove the axle shaft. Suggested that I might be able to borrow the tool" Said I could look at the tool on the internet regarding special tools to work on Case Tractors. Contacted Case Customer service they referred me to case construction dealerships.I like to spend time looking up things on the internet. We have a collection of farm tractors we have restored. Our collection includes one case, the 320. Other tractors are John Deere, International, and ford.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty,

Thirty minutes to replace the inner seal on a 320 demonstrates excellence.
My way to proceed is as follows:1
1. Remove the backhoe
2. Jack up the tractor and support it securely
3. Remove differential cover
4. Remove pin and axle nut
5. Remove axle housing ( trumpet)
bolts and remove axle housing
6. Removed the wheel first
This is where I run into problems; Axle housing with axle inside plus inner and outer bearing is together as a unit. You mentioned that the housing comes off but doesn't work for me. Need to burn the inner cone off the axle, then I think the axle housing will slide off the axle. From this point I would be able to remove races, outer bearing plus race and two seals.

Will just put back together and let the small leak continue.
Probably could have used the outrigger on the backhoe to lift the tractor off the ground.This would decrease time to take things apart but I'm not sure

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty,

I just got back to where we keep out 320 case industrial. You were correct about there being grease fittings at axle ends, I was wrong. They were totally hidden by old dried grease.
Secondly the differential has about an inch too much 90 Wt in it as measured with the dip stick. This might made a small leak out the axle ends.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 case 320 TLB Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty,
I was able to get a copy of a case shop manual for the 300 case. It recommends using washers or a piece of 1/2 steel between the nuts that retain axle shafts.Back off on nut for axle shaft that is be be removed. This will force the axle shaft out of the inner cone, then remove the housing retainer bolts and remove housing and axle

Secondly: You were correct and I was wrong.Just checked the rear axle housing outer end on our 320. Zerk fitting there both sides just covered totally and hit with dried grease. Transmission dip stick shows too much oil in the transmission differential. Milky color so need to change and add new.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters