Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pick one Implement for Food Plots

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred Cain has been in business a long time. I remember selling new Fred Cain equipment back in the 60's-80's when I was employed by a JD dealer.

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For just putting in a food plot go with a disc. Add a little weight if you like. Most food plot mixes only call for about 1/4 inch planting depth so you dont need to plow up china.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The idea of putting in a food plot for wild animals is foren to us crop farmers that we loose way to buch of what we need to live off of to the animals. I just cannot see why anybody wants to do that as we need less of thos deere rather than more.

Brown Dirt Cowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

where at in Mo? I am down in the southeast part(Cape Girardeau County). I use a drag type disc, can set it to really cut good and then set angle for finish discing, then set at slight angle for covering seed.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I grew up in central MN there were a lot of small dairy farms around us.
There was lots of tilled acres and even more land that was pastured.
The farms are all gone now and most of that land is going back to forest.
Back then it was rare to see a deer around.
Now they are pretty common.
But we still have pretty severe winters here so there is a lot of die off. And the wolves have moved back in so they take a lot of deer. Coyotes too.
This year was brutal for the deer herd. Very cold and really deep snow so I suspect the numbers will be down significantly.
I do the deer plot thing. Keep a couple of acres planted. It does help to keep a few deer around and it is a couple of acres that won't go back to forest as long as I keep them tilled.
In MN only about 37% of deer tags are filled each year. We just don't have the numbers like some of you guys do. Since I've been plotting we are batting about double the state average so it is effective.
I'm sure if I was farming I would resent the loss from the deer.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually crop farmers are the ones increasing the number of deer and feeding them as they provide food for the deer in the Spring and Summer when the deer have their young and need the extra food.Common sense would also tell you that 1,000 acres of grain on a farm will feed and support way more deer than a couple of 2 or 3 acre food plots.Plus food plots are planted
so the deer can be drawn in and KILLED so figure that is reducing the number of deer.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And I might add it may come as a shock but the whole World does not revolve around grain farmers and their wants and whims.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why try to have more deer to get hit by more cars. And here in Ohio deer harvest is limited to half the new deer born each year to get more deer to have more car wrecks. We have enough of them.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deer populations vary quite a bit, and although they are a nuisance in some aspects, we are fortunate that we have a good balance around here.

They don't do much damage to field corn around here, soybeans however are a different story. They will tear up a garden if you don't spray the repellant, which is non-chemical based.

Nurseries for trees and Christmas tree farms etc. seem to have trouble with them, and any of the large vegetable kinds of farms may fence them out as well.

Benefit for me is that they provide some healthy red meat, and are often around the house which means there likely are no prowlers or anyone around.

They browse all kinds of forage and feed on so many different things it's incredible. I had a fawn and he'd chow the leaves off this crazy invasive vine that's been at the corner of my house for years, same with the leaves off this one 20 some odd year old tree, woodchucks like the same leaves off that tree.

Food plots in places like we have here are an enjoyable hobby and I often planted one next to a farmers field corn crop in one of my fields. The squirrels and birds did more damage to the yields off that field than anything else. The deer benefit, ones you harvest will have finished on good green forage as they will graze it more than browse, depending on what it is, weather/season etc. Take a section of backstrap, season and then cook on the grill, add a side of potatoes, vegetable, there is no substitute, my freezer is well stocked, takes 3 hours to debone and clean a decent size deer, longer if you clean all the harder muscle groups for the grinder.

Canadian geese will totally decimate a corn crop sometimes. There is a great 20 some odd acre field next to me here, local and large grain crop farmer will not plant it anymore, losses were too great, but he also did nothing with the DEC depredation permit. Had he, it would work. Last year they did not have any young and nothing seemed to have been done unless someone oiled the eggs unbeknownst to me. It's my pond actually. They have young and it's a forage fest the whole summer, the crop may not get off the ground, all depends on the conditions, sometimes it overcomes the geese, other times not.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pick one Implement for Food Plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like I said Deer plots are for killing deer not raising more as most are planted late August/Sept.Raising more is the result of those huge grain fields that feed the does and young fawns
late Spring and Summer,then late planted soybeans into the Fall along with corn.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters