Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

batteries

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has a little over 3000 hours. Never had any major problems out of the machine. It still starts and runs fine. Just smokes a little for about 10 seconds when started cold. I can not see any signs of oil leaks anywhere.

Only oil I have ever used in it like all of my other small 4 stroke equipment is Castrol GTX 10W30.

westslope
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then I guess this thing will outlast me. Very rough math says 1000 hours in twenty years, in 40 years I'll have 3000 hours on it. I'm
71...better start eating my kale.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are only getting a year or two out of a battery, I would suspect the charging system is not fully charging the battery or the battery may be becoming discharged during the off season.

Since I have been charging my mower batteries several times during the winter I consistently get 5 + years of service. Smaller batteries tend to lose charge faster than larger batteries therefore, it is more important to put a charger on them every month or so.

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eat your Kale or get some Grandkids.. lol

My three daughters put more hours on the tractor than I have. When they were smaller them and their friends used it for just about everything. Guy came to look at a Polaris 170 RZR that my youngest (14) has for sale. He offered me 4 grand for the tractor. TiAnna jumped on it and I could tell by her expression that it would be a big mistake if I sold it.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The older Cub Cadets can handle the car battery amp output fine because of the heavy-duty starter design (and fat cables), but some other lawn/tractor starters may be more sensitive to 3 or 4 times the amps. I just tried to start an Onan P220 on my bench this week with a 750 amp 24F and it locked up the starter, then started fine with a garden tractor battery.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mostly a coincidence, even if the battery has more CA's available, the starter only draws what it needs.

I have several Onans starting on car batteries, with no issues over YEARS.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters