Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone know what this is? Was told by owners daughter that it has to be factory made that her dad bought unique ones all over the country and that he never built one from scratch.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it is a small obscure factory made.Kind of like the 'hefty'(AllisChalmers G) type of small garden/produce tractor.Probably for a small local market.If it is 'homemade/shopmade',they did a first class job.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be either, but probably shop-built, to me that's home made with skills and equipment. My first complaint would be the
location of the battery, it would rub against the back of my pants leg, and anytime that has happened to me it eats a hole in
my pants. Looks like the battery and fuel tank should be way up front for weight anyhow.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Home made. Look at the engine. As new as that is if factory made you would have fenders and such because of liability issues. The battery would never be where it could come in contact with the operator either. Foot rests would be larger too.

Rick

big tee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks to me like the Self-Help tractors that used to be built 30 mi west of me in Waverly Iowa and shipped to Africa to end hunger back in 50's to the 80's---Tee

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks like the battery could go under the seat

SodBuster87
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There were alot of unique tractors made over the years. The only way to prove with 99% accuracy it's factory is to find a data plate of some kind. If it is factory there is no way of knowing if any parts or shields are missing or if the engine is original. However without being able to inspect in person and just going off the picture. I'm saying homemade.

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-big tee wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:22:01 03/14/19) It looks to me like the Self-Help tractors that used to be built 30 mi west of me in Waverly Iowa and shipped to Africa to end hunger back in 50's to the 80's---Tee

Yes, it looks homemade to me to BUT possibly it is a low production and low budget shop/factory made one for commercial sale like you stated?? Would you happen to have a picture of one of those tractors that was built in Iowa and used in Africa? I'm sure he would have one if he could find one and this might be it.

INCase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

or up front for some weight distribution

INCase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would guess home made due to the lack of safty features. maybe not homemade by the girls/lady's father but someone "home-made" it.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the archives about Self helper tractor.
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1179624

Do a search for Self Helper tractor Waverly Iowa and you will get some hits. CS Monitor has a good article.

timcasbolt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RTR wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:40:45 03/14/19) Anyone know what this is? Was told by owners daughter that it has to be factory made that her dad bought unique ones all over the country and that he never built one from scratch.

It looks home built to me. Probably used parts from a lawn mower salvage yard.

4wdtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Because of the engine I say homemade. However there were a lot of factory tractors in the 40-50 that had that homemade look. Economy, Wheelhorse, Shaw, Gibson, to name a
few.

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-4wdtom wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:08:35 03/15/19) Because of the engine I say homemade. However there were a lot of factory tractors in the 40-50 that had that homemade look. Economy, Wheelhorse, Shaw, Gibson, to name a
few.

Yeah, a friend sent pictures of these (2) different brands that look ALOT like this one. What do you all think?

Red One is a Wheel Horse Bronco Garden Special; and the other (3) pictures are of a Page Tractor

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Home-Made or Factory-Made Tractor?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"ALOT" is not a word.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters