Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have pto pulley on my CC108 and 129. I want to attach an automotive alternator via a belt to generate AC volts to run an inverter....
Question: what type, size, etc. might work best?

How to mount?attach? ... I would rig up something
Any suggestions?
Wiring.?
Will it work?

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of how to videos on Utube. You need a very small altinator like Hitachi makes, a darn fast engine or engine pulley to altinator ratio speed, a very large storage battery, and a honking big inverter. Will never work like a portable generator from Lowes. Made a super duper portable battery charger many years ago with a ten horse motor if memory serves and no inverter just straight big storage battery. It really worked but not very practical. Just take a garden tractor and jumper cables.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I want to attach an automotive alternator via a belt to generate AC volts to run an inverter...."

Your post is a bit confusing, by definition, inverters convert DC current to AC current, so you don't want AC Volts to run an inverter, IMHO.

I'm gonna GUESS you want a 120 Volt AC power source?

If that's what you want, I think CC dealers sold PTO driven AC generators, for sure DEERE did.

Here's a link to a thread posted by someone who fabricated one.
CC generator

greentoad
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm gonna build one of these suckers. Already have an inverter that is 2000W/4000PEAK.
Do I have to put a battery in-between the alternator and the inverter is the VR on the alternator good enough to regulate input voltage?

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Watts in (VxA, PF=1 if talking about AC circuits) equals watts out minus losses....746 watts per 1 HP. Keep in mind that to work for you, if you are using an RPM rated unit, you may be running a 400 cu inch engine at redline RPMS to get the RPM ratio to run your 400 watt generator/alternator at 400 watts. Neighbor's boy had one years ago, don't remember anything about the unit but I installed it in his truck, of similar sized engine, at his request, and what I said above is what happened. Efficiency??????? Totally sucked! Turned me off them right away.

Course technology and all today, surely things are better now.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Belt-driven Pincor generators were once available to install on Cub Cadets using the front end PTO mount. A QA42 snowblower mount may be a good start to building a platform for a belt-driven generator like this one available from NT. Your IH 129 would handle 5000 watts - requires 11hp and 3600 rpm. It's safe for electronics, has +/- 5% THD rating. Probably more practical than rigging up a large inverter.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You absolutely need a battery to act as a buffer. The whole system will be totally unstable and most likely one or both will fry very quickly. Maximum smoke.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6.7 hp to get your 5kw, plus 10-20% loss for efficiency has you up at 8 hp. 11 hp requirement would leave you 3 hp for transient loads, make for a very
good power source to drive through things like compressor starts pulling on the generator. If you can stand the price, sounds like a winner. I bought
quite a few things from NT and their ratings worked just fine for me.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching an alternator to a tractor to power an inverte Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Greenfrog wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:17:34 01/31/19) I have pto pulley on my CC108 and 129. I want to attach an automotive alternator via a belt to generate AC volts to run an inverter....
Question: what type, size, etc. might work best?

How to mount?attach? ... I would rig up something
Any suggestions?
Wiring.?
Will it work?

You can get 120 AC volts the hard and complicated way or the easy, clean and simple way.
Get a Fabco Powermite 110, it even looks exactly the same as a Cub Cadet starter/generator.
Paint it the CC yellow and everyone would think it was a factory option.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters