Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure which

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure which Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Recently acquired old Ford tractor from estate, has not run since 2006, no paperwork, trying to determine what I have gotten myself into. Model D5017P, date code 0C18B. Any idea what this is and where to get a manual for it?

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got pics?

Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce(OR) wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:23:44 03/13/19) got pics?

Picture attached.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D5017P
D = 4000 series
50 = industrial
1 = Diesel engine
7 = pto type ? No 7 on my list, recheck that one
P = transmission type ? No P on my list ether

0C18B build date = built March 18, 1970 on date shift

Looks like a 4500 industrial
Same front axle, grill shell and side vents as my 4500

Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Destroked 450"](reply to post at 10:32:51
03/14/19) [/quote]

Thank you sir, that looks right, I thought it might be
a Dexta, but the front axle is much different. Am
thinking maybe it?s a 4550 based on the cab
structure. The info plate is painted over, so really
hard to see some of the characters. The 7 may
actually be a 1, and the P might actually be an F or
something else.

I am preparing the machine to start it up for the first
time in many years, let me know if any suggestions.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The model, serial and production date numbers are hand stamped on the top of the clutch housing just behind the starter.
However loader frames make it hard to see those numbers.

Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I will look for those stampings and confirm.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a 4500 industrial.

Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, so it turns out my new tractor is definitely a 1970 Ford 4500 industrial, diesel, no pto, 4 speed automatic. I drained almost a quart of water out of the crankcase, will change oil and filter as well. Just to see if the motor is frozen I attached a car battery, and although the starter engages, the engine would not budge. Is there a straightforward way to try to manually rotate the crankshaft so I can break it loose? Or do I need to take off the injectors and oil the cylinders? It seems like the alternator may be frozen too. Not sure about the power steering pump. But my first priority is to confirm that the pistons will move inside the cylinders. Any ideas?

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the engines stuck I'd get a small bore scope, pull the injectors out and look into the cylinders.
If they are very rusting you could also have some stuck rings, only way to fix that is tear it apart.

If not rusty pour a generous amount of your favorite penetrating oil in the cylinders and let it soak, then see if the engine will break lose.

Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makes sense, If I cannot free it up I will pull the injectors and have a look. I may try a stronger battery first, could be the car battery just was not strong enough. First I will loosen the alternator to eliminate that issue. Hope to get back to it this weekend.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another thing to take loose is the hydraulic pump drive that's bolted to the front of the crank pulley.
Also loosen the transmission suction screen or drain plug "not sure which that trans has", and check for water, you don't want to be pumping water thru the trans oil circuit.

Suburban Homestead
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Just acquired a project tractor - old Ford, not sure whi Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the head off and found rust on about 3 square inch area of cylinder 1 and in rusty goop in the piston well of cylinder 3. That explains homework it will not turn over. See pix. Cleaned it up with a rag, and now am soaking with pb blaster and marvel mystery oil. Any thoughts on best way to proceed?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters