Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tecumseh Electric start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to change my pull start 10 hp Tecumseh powered pressure to electric start. I can no longer muster the oomph needed to crank it since I will be 80 in a few months. I need the starter, flywheel with ring gear and the charging coil setup. It can be a low output charging system because it will crank once and run for a good while when used. The last one I converted I used the setup from an 8 Hp vertical shaft engine, so it can be from an 8 or 10 hp horizontal or vertical shaft engine. This engine is from the 1990's time frame. Any body got one they are willing to part with? E-mail me at: gadavis9180@gmail.comxxx remove the xs before sending.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can t help, but the welder I bought had a ring gear, all I had to do was add the starter. I just use a batter maintainer to keep it charged.

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My flywheel is not machined for a ring gear or I would do just that. Thanks anyway.

golfcartman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 10 hp Tecumseh on my John Deere 110 and it has a starter generator. If you can put a pulley on the flywheel and mount the starter generator that might work for you. Not sure how much room you have to work with. Just a thought. Larry

Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find that EBay is the best location for parts such as the flywheel and starter.

Last year I added electric start on my older Generac 6500w generator with Tecumseh HM-100 10 hp engine.

I did not add the charging circuit on it because it was very difficult to get the right flywheel and charging coil combination and since I want it charging while it sits I keep the 12V battery up by using a Battery Tender Jr.

One caution I will give is that you shouldn't buy a cheap starter. I bought a new Taiwan unit for around $35.00 and it puked twice in less than a year. The magnets would split along their lengths and then lock up the armature. With advice from a local small engine repair guy I found a NOS genuine Tecumseh starter USA made for around $50.00 and it works fine.

The flywheel you need is found on multiple engines 7~10hp and an old snowblower model would likely be the ticket.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-golfcartman wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:03:33 03/19/19) I have a 10 hp Tecumseh on my John Deere 110 and it has a starter generator. If you can put a pulley on the flywheel and mount the starter generator that might work for you. Not sure how much room you have to work with. Just a thought. Larry

GREAT idea! I have an 8 HP Wisconsin on a big 'ol DeBilbiss 2-cylinder air compressor that was a &%$^ to start with a rope.

I hung a Delco starter-generator from a Briggs in between the engine and compressor.

I don't use it much, and didn't set it up with a battery, or wire up the generator/voltage regulator side, I just start it off of a vehicle battery with jumper cables when I occasionally need to use it.

I didn't know how well the starter/generator off of a 10 HP Briggs would crank it, but it sure gets the job done!

Don B.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a shroud with a recoil and the "pocket" for the starter, and a 110v starter from an 8hp snowblower digging thru my stash yesterday, I have that charging coil and flywheel "somewhere" around here..... the question is where.

Don B.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a shroud with a recoil and the "pocket" for the starter, and a 110v starter from an 8hp snowblower digging thru my stash yesterday, I have that charging coil and flywheel "somewhere" around here..... the question is where.

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at using the starter generator from a old 10 hp Sears Suburban tractor I have, but not enough room for it on the machine.

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay you have my attention if you want to let it go, email me; gadavis9180@gmail.com xxx remove the x's before
sending e-mail.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters