Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 1840 Skidsteer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having an issue 1840 won't start. About 2 months ago I was going to put out a few round bales for the beefers, started it up no problem, let warm up 15 minutes, got in moved about 30 ft. and it lost power couldn't get it restarted.
I left it until it warmed up, plugged the block heater in and tried starting it this past weekend and I could not get it to fire up.
I primed the fuel lines to the injectors and fuel is coming out fine.
Any ideas? What should I look at/for?
BTW: the motor was completely rebuilt about 50 hrs. ago.
Thanks, Jay

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loosen each injector line at the injectors a couple of turns and turn the engine over on the key keeping an eye (protected) on the line unions to see if it's spurting fuel out,if its spurt fuel out the engine should start,see the air intake is not blocked,if you have to come back post the type injector pump it's got,they used three different on that model.
AJ

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ, I loosened the injector lines turned the engine over. Fuel was spurting out.
Checked the air clearer & filter ( This is what you referred to as the air intake?)
The engine from what I can tell is a 4T 390.

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it was the air intake/filter,I am now taking it the fuel system is good,filter/s clean and fuel in the tank,reading you first post again you say it lost power and stopped and will not start,you primed the fuel system and it is spurting out fuel at the injectors,tighten up the lines again and crank it over watching the exhaust,you should be getting smoke if it's injecting fuel into the cylinders,if there is no smoke it's getting no fuel,if it is putting out smoke then should start,you have to find out why it stopped,you sure the filter/s are clean,check the wire going to the stop solenoid on the pump,that should be hot when the key is on on the machines with the rotary pumps,if it's got an in line pump the solenoid is powered different that is why I asked what pump you got,the inline pump has the injector lines in a row along the top,rotary the lines are in a circle, see what pump you got and come back.
AJ

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ, I attached a pic of the pump, and a pic from the owners manual.
Thanks Jay

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a Bosch rotary pump,those pumps are fairly easy to bleed compared with the other rotary it could have,a CAV,but we can forget about them now,what prompted you to bleed the system in the first place,did you run out of diesel?,is there water in the fuel,are the filters plugged,the two things you can check now is if there is power in the black wire attached to the stop solenoid when the key is on,the bolt with half the paint missing is the return line from the pump,that bolt has a valve inside and it also acts as a self bleed for the pump,loosen that bolt a couple of turns and operate the priming lever till clear fuel comes comes out,tighten it up and try to start,you need the battery in good shape,use any cold start device it has and see what comes from the exhaust while it's cranking over.
AJ

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the stop solenoid is working. On some Case-Cummins Bosch VE pumps fuel WILL be at each injector with the line nuts loose EVEN with the solenoid OFF. That's because of the way the plunger is machined in the head assembly. It will bleed, BUT won't open the injectors UNLESS the solenoid is working. Local shop put a Cummins 5.9 in an Oliver tractor and found the solenoid had no voltage due to a bad switch, but with the lines loose had plenty of fuel at the injectors. CAV DPA pumps work different, solenoid MUST be on to bleed that pump.

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the correct way to test the stop solenoid to verify it is working correctly? I can check power to the solenoid how do I know if it is working correctly.
Thanks Jay

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put your finger tips on the solenoid and power it on and off you will feel the plunger jump inside if it's working.
AJ

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ Thanks for the info.
I ran over to the farm today, tested the power to the solenoid that was fine. Now to remove the switch and inspect it.
Quick Question; Is there a special tool or trick to get it out, awful tight area, or is this one of those custom shop bent tool situations?
Thanks again

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any few times I changed one of those switches I just used an M24 open wrench but I probably got ten of every size,long ones,short ones bent one,stuff collect over the years,when taking it out be careful not to lose the plunger and spring inside,they will fall out,the plunger is spring loaded to stay in the stop position and is pulled back when in run.
AJ

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJ, Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I ordered a new solenoid and swapped it out and it fired right up Smile
I had to modify a 24mm wrench, there is almost no room to fit a wrench in there,
I learned a few new swear words..lol
If your ever up to this neck of the woods, I owe you a couple beers or cups of coffee at least.
Thanks again.
Jay

This is a pic of my custom wrench, bent and some grinding not pretty but did the job.

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1840 Skidsteer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted,those things are a nightmare to work on should you have had to go deeper,all's well that ends well.
AJ

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters