Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the timing now before you even tear it apart , give you experience and it tells you if it is indeed set to specifications. as it is now running and you cant screw things up , then when ready to install pump its a walk in the park!

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Rustred

Those were my thoughts too. Check to make sure the timing is set up now then go from there. It starts very well as is so I expect it will be about where it should be already. Its sitting in the shop and no one is likely to touch anything while the pump is off so shouldn't have to worry about anything getting changed. Just have to set #1 at TDC, check for the timing mark on the flywheel and make sure the lines are aligned in the pump behind the little side door and all should be good.

Expect to be looking at about $1000 Cdn. for a rebuild job but the old girl is worth it. Will check the valve clearances once it is back in operation too. Will get a price on injector rebuild as well. Probably would be wise as the pump depends on the injectors to do their job. Son wants to use it for a bit of haying and just a handy yard tractor.
Sorry for the angle of the pic but happens when taken with a cell if you forget to turn it sideways when taking a pic and then want to upload to YT.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who is doing the pump? That's a lot. Kit is like 45$.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice tractor. you set #1 cyl. at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke. there is TWO TDC's. that's why you watch #6 cyl. when setting the valves. each cyl. has a running mate. when the running mate's valves are rockin , the cyl you want to adjust is on TDC on the compression stroke. handy yard tractor... hummm? give me forty acres an i'll turn this rig around!

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Rustred

Yes you are totally correct pistons reach TDC twice on four cycle engines.

One time on compression and the second time on exhaust. With #1 on TDC compression #6 will be on TDC exhaust just prior to the intake valve opening if my memory serves me correctly.

Actually the G1000 is an amazingly short turning tractor for it size in its day. We used to have a Massy Ferguson super 95, similar to the MM G6 and that one needed between 40 and 41 acres to turn around. You usually had to make at least three passes for headlands depending on the size of tillage tool you were pulling.

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi molinegb

You are perking my curiosity about your supplier for the kit for the injector pump. Not sure if you can mention a supplier on here but that sounds tantalizing.

On another note:

I think we had an online chat several years ago about an M670. What was the cause of it not wanting to start? I have always been curious to know what the results were on that one. I think it was an LPG originally if memory serves me right.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most pumps like yours I repair, test, and return run 300-400. long as the pump hydraulic head is good. I'd leave the injectors alone too, unless there's a known problem with them. They don't cause as much trouble as most think they do. Just my thoughts of forty plus years and counting of diesel injection repair..

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Dieseltech

So you are suggesting have the pump repaired and leave the injectors be. Since it will start and run I don't think there is anything broken inside the pump. But we have no plans for running it further until repairs are made since I have read where it can lock up and break a shaft in the pump.

You price sounds reasonable however I am not in the US. So a number of factors come into play, shipping and exchange rate of around 35%. But could still be less than around here. I'm assuming you are in the US of course.

I do have to replace an O-ring where one of the injectors is seeping engine oil. But that is to be expected on a 53 year old tractor.

Thanks for your suggestions as I appreciate all the information you and everyone else has willingly shared.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never did get LP 670 running. Was getting my kits off Ebay.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so where in Canada u located Minnie man? I would not touch the injectors if tractor is starting good and runs good. I have taken pumps to GCL injection in Edmonton for my 560.

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi rustred

I live in Southwestern Manitoba. Brandon would be our closest city.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 G1000 Wheatland Injector Pump removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take it Dave in Brandon.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters