Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Aftermarket lights for a 2N

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good morning, people.

I just had the generator rebuilt on my 2N, and she's charging great. I'm giving it the pre-summer once over, and I got to thinking about lights.

Mine has no lights whatsoever. Nothing. No housings on the front, no wiring. Absolutely nothing. There is an old switch in the dashboard (which is no good) with the wires all cut.

First of all, I really am not worried about looking authentic. I'm looking for rugged, bright, ease of installation and useful.

There must be some good choices now, with the advent of LED lights.

By the way, mine is running the 6V system, positive ground, just like it was originally made.

Has anybody retrofit their 6 Volt 2N with lights that they would recommend?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are Lots of options for 12V LEDS
which will light up your way at night
almost like it's daytime and they use a
fourth? of the wattage an incandescent
light does.
But a couple minutes of searching didn't
turn up much for 6V LEDs.
I guess I would look for some good old
Tract O Lights which were used on Fords
for about 40 years and put those on.
Someone here will know the bulb number
you need.
Heres some on ebay both new and used.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've yet to find any good options for 6V LED headlights. I was in the same boat as you, my 9N had no headlights so I bought Tract-O-Lites from Dennis Carpenter along with a Taurus taillight. I also added an 8N worklight (the worklight wasn't an option on 9N's and 2N's). The additional current from the 8N incandescent worklight was too much for the 9N 6V generator so I was able to find a nice LED Par36 bulb for the worklight. It only draws .95A at 7V and is nice and bright. It's also a drop in replacement and looks close to the original bulb unlike some of the LED bulbs out there that simply look strange in an old tractor, this is the bulb - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBKCRSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my case since I'm running a snowblower on my 9N all winter I actually prefer the incandescent bulbs because they run hot enough that the snow won't build up on them. I snowblow my driveway and the private road I live on, there are no street lights but the 6 volt 30W 4019 incandescent bulbs I'm using are plenty bright enough for my needs.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:11:33 04/14/19)
light does.
you need.

Stiener (sic) has a good assortment of housings and 6V bayonet mount LED bulbs but I can't link to them here. I am sure there are lots of other sources.

TOH

DMartin9N-2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, last:
I happen to have a 9N that someone put lights on before I bought it, so it was many years ago. I am still using 6 volts with the original type 3-brush generator. I figured out what kind of headlights I have when I was visiting my uncle. He has a Ferguson TO-20, and my headlights are exactly like his. Mine were installed nicely, including the Ford wing-shaped base on side of dogleg. (No one at a tractor show has ever mentioned that my headlights were not original to my tractor!). Just me talking....

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:40:10 04/14/19)
CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:11:33 04/14/19)
light does.
you need.

Stiener (sic) has a good assortment of housings and 6V bayonet mount LED bulbs but I can't link to them here. I am sure there are lots of other sources.

TOH

Thanks.

The ACS152 light assembly with the ABC3857 LED bulb might do the trick.

With the LED bulbs, the generator should be able to power two headlights and a work light facing rearward. I also want to mount a switch on the fender to switch between the rear work light and a red safety light for road travel.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks.

The ACS152 light assembly with the ABC3857 LED bulb might do the trick.

With the LED bulbs, the generator should be able to power two headlights and a work light facing rearward. I also want to mount a switch on the fender to switch between the rear work light and a red safety light for road travel.

Here's an 8N style worklight, they have a switch built into them:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-Volt-4-1-2-Work-Light-Assembly-for-Ford-New-Holland-2N-8N-9N/192257813548?hash=item2cc3756c2c:g:PhYAAOSw3ZxaDdJp

Richard from SE AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do these lights fit the tracto lite buckets

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Richard from SE AZ wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:18:59 04/14/19) Do these lights fit the tracto lite buckets

I'm going to take one for the team here. I ordered two of the rear work lights with switches from ebay recommended above, and I ordered one of the tractolite-style 5W LED replacement bulbs from Amazon.

I'm going to see if the LED bulb fits in the fixture. That would be a superb worklight combination.

Tony292
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a set don t remember the exact vendor from
Amazon similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C125-Utility-Tractor-Trapezoid/dp/B00LCVZI80/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=6v+tractor+light&qid=1555386051&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Dirt cheap and they work great.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lastcowboy32 wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:45:33 04/15/19)
(quoted from post at 23:18:59 04/14/19) Do these lights fit the tracto lite buckets

I'm going to take one for the team here. I ordered two of the rear work lights with switches from ebay recommended above, and I ordered one of the tractolite-style 5W LED replacement bulbs from Amazon.

I'm going to see if the LED bulb fits in the fixture. That would be a superb worklight combination.

It should fit no problem. It's a 4 1/2" bulb going in a 4 1/2" fixture.

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

doublebass73 wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:15:30 04/16/19)
lastcowboy32 wrote:

I would assume so, but, you know... those "Chinese Inches"... they are a little off sometimes.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lights for a 2N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lastcowboy32 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:51:55 04/16/19)
doublebass73 wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:15:30 04/16/19)
lastcowboy32 wrote:

I would assume so, but, you know... those "Chinese Inches"... they are a little off sometimes.

That's true, it always comes into play with anything made out of Chinesium.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters