Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Repairing differential pinion shaft threads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armymutt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Repairing differential pinion shaft threads? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Armymutt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing differential pinion shaft threads? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've narrowed down the issue with my 135. I still can't get the pinion out, but I think I can reassemble it in the tractor. I got a new lock nut and tried to thread it onto the shaft tonight. It won't go because the threads at the front of the shaft are damaged slightly. I'm thinking of trying to use a thread file to repair them. If I can get it to thread on, then my next difficulty is setting the right pre-load. The manual shows this being accomplished outside the tractor and I'm not exactly clear on the tools being used. I found this thread showing the use of a c-spanner with a hole 3" from the pinion shaft to set the pre-load.
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1321995&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=differential+pinion+reassembly&start=0
I think this could be done since the shaft won't turn when the wheels are on the ground.

If this doesn't work, then is the only other way to remove the pinion involve pulling the left trumpet housing and pulling the ring gear?

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing differential pinion shaft threads? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As you may have noticed, the information you located was for my MF FE 35 X........and yes it worked with the pinion installed in place:

I would hope some of the MF Guys with MF 135 experience will comment on your 135.......

Bob....

Armymutt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing differential pinion shaft threads? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One big difference I'm seeing is that yours calls for 6-8 in-lb while my manual calls for 20 in-lb. I could probably do the same thing, but applying 6 2/3 lb of pressure with a spring scale, which I don't have laying around. About the closest device I have is a pocket fish scale.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing differential pinion shaft threads? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I set the Torque on my MF FE 35 X I MADE SURE the NUT ran up by had (two fingers) freely! No resistance at all.

I had a length of pipe bored, and four pieces of KEY STOCK spot welded to the I/D of the pipe. (holes drill through pipe to allow for welding of key stock)

A plate was welded to the opposite end of the pipe with a 3/8 drive . I then used a 3/8" drive torque wrench....not the CLICK/SNAP style but rather the DIAL
TYPE:

There was NO HYD. pump installed when the Torque / pre load was set:

Others may have preformed this task differently than I:

Bob...

Armymutt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing differential pinion shaft threads? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was able to clean the threads up with the file. After an initial hard start, the nut threaded on relatively easily. I use a fork seal tool for an old Triumph to tighten it up. I think I over torqued it though, was thinking 20 ft lb vs in lb. I'll have to correct that before I put the cover back on. I don't have the ability to make the tool you describe, but I can put my torque wrench in a vice and use it to get a feel for the right amount of pressure. It should get me close to the "slight drag" mentioned in your manual.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters