Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a chance to purchase a nice older ferguson To30. Owner stated on the phone that it had a highway transmission... or a hi/low. I went and looked at it, it’s all fairly tight... i was expecting a lever on the side of the block for the hi low selector, instead I see a ball under the steering sector with a cable that runs into the transmission beside the starter relay... I’ve never seen one like that before. I ran the tractor and it has no low gear, only an overdrive of sorts that makes it faster for highway speeds. Any thoughts??? Good set up or not a good set up? The knob was hard to push in and almost a light tap is needed to engage.. not hard to pull it back out.. and disengages like it should. What do you guys think? I’m no expert on these fine old tractors ..

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they almost always rust fast.

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had thought so, I watched a video on you tube of a fella who had to split his, in order to fix the cable..

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sherman Transmission Cable-to-Lever Conversion Kit

Red Rock Manufacturing Pella IA

I have NO connection in any way or form with the above ....happens to look like a good option:

This kit will convert your cable style transmission into the more common and reliable lever style. The pivot apparatus clamps to the transmission?s housing. The
kit includes a reproduction lever.

Comes with installation instructions.

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that’s for sure a viable option, I wonder at what frequency the cable needs changed? If it needs changed every .. let’s say.. 10-15 hrs then I wouldnt worry about it, but if it gets stuck often or rusts in half every two years then I’d look into changing it over to the lever..where is the lever is going to protrude from the transmission casting after the change over? The same as the other Sherman’s, on the sediment bowl side of the tractor? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m not made of money nor do I have a lot of room in my shop.. so I’m going to have one tractor only. The ferguson I have Has worn out steeringut. I’ve been working on getting it in good condition,I’m nearly done with it, having replaced the front end pin, spindle bushings and tie rod ends, but it still needs steering arm bushings, the gear box will need tore apart for that job and I’m not looking forward to that.. I’m almost afraid I’ll have to start over on the one I’m looking at, but Steering is tight, brakes are good, no smoke.. but runs with a slight miss, ( but so does mine)...who knows..

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I meant 10 to 15 years... not hours.. lol

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only my personal opinion (may not be others) the TEA-20...T0-20 & T0-30 with their 4 speed transmissions are useless with the Sherman OVERDRIVE.

Now the under drive, or combo overdrive & Under drive Sherman are great:

Bob...Owner TEA 20 and other Ferguson Tractors:

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

man they do go fast tho...

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That cable operated trans, as you now know, is the Sherman overdrive trans. Fun to drive and was designed to get you down the road faster to
the next field. Typical Sherman combo trans has about a 25 MPH top speed. The cables were highly prone to rust and were replaced with the
levers.
I suspect the overdrive trans top speed is also about the same as the Sherman combo.
Hupp came out with two combo transmissions. One had a 15 MPH top speed and the other was a near duplicate of the Sherman, with a 25 MPH top
speed. The lower combo also had a lower first gear speed in underdrive.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do however like the reverse in overdrive.....

Bob....

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a cable operated hi/low transmission. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are only two kinds on cable shifter shermans, a step up or a step down. No hi/lo. To engage the sherman gear the cable knob shifter pushed in. To access
standard gears the cable knob pulled out. How long the cable will last depends on weather conidition, how often you lubricate and how often you use it. The cables
are still available and can be installed by popping the steering box off unless it's a ford 9n/2n. There is no need to split the tractor. Step up can be had for a
couple few hundred dollars, step downs $500/$700. I have found the step up more useful in the 9n/2n than the 8n because of the gearing. Since the TO models are gear
similar to the 8n unless you had a specific use for step up I don't know if it worth adding to the tractor. Here is a closer look at the sherman
sherman link

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters