Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Barn Orientation Question to Wind

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This question is a little different...

I get it, make your barn door openings to the east away from the winds.

But....

What about long vs short side against the prevailing winds?

Our pole barn will be drive through. Openings/doors will be on the short ends, so one opening is east, the other is west - looking right into the wind. I can turn my barn long side to the wind, but now have a big broad side facing the winds.

What are your thoughts on long vs short barn side to the wind?

Thanks!
Bill

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 60x88x16 sits on top of a gentle hill that dictated an east/west orientation. Doors on east and west ends to avoid problem of snow sliding off. When I get a good 30 mph wind out of the west I open both ends and let the dust blow out. Saves sweeping. (;>))

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Up here in the frozen North, it is best to be North/South with the ridge. Prevailing winds after a snow storm are out of the NNW. An East/West building ridge will load up with snow on the south side.

I would guess that is not an issue in VA.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would orient it without much consideration for wind. The structure won't care if it's properly braced. Bigger concerns are proper drainage around the building and making your approaches to the building convenient. Good overhead doors aren't bothered by the wind, but if you go with sliders that might be an issue. If you want a big slider, put that door in the leeward end and put a smaller overhead door in the windward end. One advantage of orienting the ends with the prevailing winds is you can use the breeze to cool the building in the summer.

Stroby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the doors are open, it won't matter, there will be no pressure build up.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My newest pole shed is open on the north side. Not really what I wanted, but that was the only way it would fit and be easily accesible. So far, after 2 years, it is working just fine.

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Orientation Question to Wind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

x2

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters