Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy one, I own a TO30 and have it sold, so was gonna replace it with a To30 with a Sherman transmission hi low. Anyhow, anything Weak points on the 35 that I should be aware of?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a Deluxe model as they have the two stage clutch for live hydraulics and PTO. The Special model does not have those features.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for the deluxe, be sure it has power steering.

Otherwise they are good tractors for their size.

The clutch is stiff, your leg will get a real work out doing intricate work.

The front suspension is a little weak, especially if using a loader.

pomester
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the others - make sure it's a two stage clutch and you have a better tractor - I've never had power steering, I guess it would be nice, the 35 does steer harder than the TO30 and is somewhat less nimble - the 6/2 transmission gives good working gears, tho it is somewhat notorious for getting hung up between two gears while shifting, I've yet to have this problem with my current 35, tho the F40 I grew up with would do it once in a while -

They are a nice package if you don't ask too much of them -

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And for no carb problems get a diesel.

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank guys, but no Desiel for me! Not a huge fan of them..

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you walked into a dealership who still stocks a variety of 1955 TO35's... you are stuck looking at the one in front of you. There aren't many people on these pages who would steer you away from one.
IF it has the options you need or want- oh, to have a single stage clutch, you might as well have kept the 30.
I make no use of the extra gears, I usually work in 1st low, and go down the road in 3rd low. No different than my 30. The ground drive pro is only used for 3 point hay rakes and special seed drills. The 'works when it feels like it' power 'assisted' steering is about the only selling point if it does not have live pto or hydraulics, so it comes down to price. If it has what you want at a price you are comfortable paying, there's nothing else to think about... so what's it got and how much they want?

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

be ever mindful of the continental engine and its block cracking problems. google is your friend.

Mr.Ferguson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deluxe is your best bet. The extra gears can come In handy, I myself use low range most of the time. Not having power steering isn?t terrible, but if your
not moving, it can be a bear to turn.

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has live pto and hi low range transmission. No power steering. He wants 2000$ for it. I can get a really descent To30 for 1750 with cable operated hi low tranny. It has charging issues, but it may just need polarized. It’s sat for a while but runs nice... hi low works nice. A member here posted a modification to change it from cable to lever action. It’s 110$ ... so I’d still have less money in it.... it’s local. The 35 is is an hour and a half away.

pomester
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At those prices, why not both?

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="pomester"](reply to post at 15:09:45 04/14/19
Money, As well as limited amount of space in my 30x40 pole barn will stop me from buying both. My barn is packed and my billfold will only allow for one tractor..

pomester
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

take the live power take-off if conditions are otherwise similar. My personal opinion is that live power raises the machine to a full level above the TO30.

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the Hi/Lo in the 35 does not affect the PTO speed. You get 540 PTO operation in all six forward and two reverse gears. The Sherman hi/lo in the TO30 will change the PTO speed. The real advantage of the 35 for me is the low range which allows you to go slower that a TO30 and maintain the 540 PTO speed. Very useful for snow blowing and bush hogging rougher/unknown terrain when you want to be slow and careful.

Dan

phil(va)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about the pros and cons of s TO35... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the 35, even non Deluxe, is superior to the 30 for several reasons. First would be the six forward gears, mentioned by others.
Second would be the factory position control, which I don't believe anyone mentioned. Third would be factory 12 volts on the later 35s
with tractometer. And of course there is a little more horsepower in the 35. Also, some 35s have spin out rims. I own a 35 Special and
several 30s and I don't find much difference, if any, in the steering effort. It is true the 35 has occasional tendency to hang between
gears, but this is caused by pulling up on the lever when going into reverse, and you can unstick it with a screwdriver in the oil hole.
I have a steep rough area to traverse with bush hog each year and a 30 would not do it. It requires the low gears of the 35.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters