Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT (SUICIDE KNOB)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

assuming power steering what side of steering wheel is best position ?

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

N?s don?t have power steering. I don?t know what a (SUICIDE KNOB) is. So I?m not sure what you?re asking?

Kevin in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tony in sd wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:28:47 04/15/19) N?s don?t have power steering. I don?t know what a (SUICIDE KNOB) is. So I?m not sure what you?re asking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

A brodie knob (alternative spelling brody knob) is a knob that attaches to the steering wheel of an automobile or other vehicle or equipment with a steering wheel. Other names for this knob include: suicide, necker, granny, knuckle buster, and wheel spinner.

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best position is where it feels best to you... you can see mine in the pic. “Hold on loosely” is your mantra, especially if in rough conditions or driving near trees or fence posts. Should be obvious why...

es

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually mount mine on left hand side leaving right hand to operate throttle, drink my beer,pick my nose or wave to the neighbors.

Lynn Patrick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree w/Kirk from those years growing up w/one hand on the spinner, the other on the 3 point lever ready for whatever happened w/the implement you were pulling!

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mount mine at 10:00.

With hydrostatic PS, it makes no difference.

Dean

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-steve19438 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:17:45 04/15/19) assuming power steering what side of steering wheel is best position ?
Once you are injured by the #!%@* thing, you will figure out that the best place for it is in the garbage! Evil or Very Mad

KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with JMOR, best place is on the shelf. You sure don't want it on the steering-wheel if you are working in the woods. When skidding wood or in a rough field, I always keep all the fingers including the thumb on the outside of the wheel.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If these things were really that bad I don't think that factories would build them into the steering wheel. I think that it is on a Cat loader, that comes to mind. maybe on a Komatsu too, I will check tomorrow. I have one on a 971D. I have it lower right, and hold it with my left hand. It enables me to keep my arm in close to my side which is far easier on my arthritic shoulder than out away from my body.

Grinderhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put mine on the lower right of my wheel cause i have a bad left shoulder, it is a life saver.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, SC.

I've been using steering wheel knobs on tractors both with and without PS for decades.

Dean

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-KCTractors wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:19:05 04/15/19) I agree with JMOR, best place is on the shelf. You sure don't want it on the steering-wheel if you are working in the woods. When skidding wood or in a rough field, I always keep all the fingers including the thumb on the outside of the wheel.

i have one on my WD, and skidding logs is 99% of what i do with that tractor.

i haven't hurt myself with it yet.

Eman85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

10 o'clock is where I have mine.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OT (SUICIDE KNOB) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eman85 wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:02:02 04/15/19) 10 o'clock is where I have mine.
I don't know about it being "suicide", but it can render part of your hand screwed for life, but all should be allowed to make their own mistakes. Have fun boys!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters