Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best chainsaw?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Herring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a STIHL Farm Boss 271. It's been a good saw. Got thru two nasty ice storms with it and have a spare chain. It can be a bit obstinate to start sometimes because it probably only gets used a few times every other year, depending on ice storms and limbs falling or tree removal. Probably ought to try premix fuel instead of mixing my own, but oh well.

Only bummer was loaned it out and it came back with a broken chain tensioner screw (junky pot metal, IMO). "Dealers" wanted like $15 + $10 shipping for a part I was miffed they didn't have in stock (and don't get me started on charging me shipping to get parts in from them when it could fit in a friggen 70 cent stamped envelope) -- so I scored an OEM part off ebay for like $8 and replaced it myself and it goes like a champ now.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not much into saws but I do have a little Husky. I do have a strong opinion on gas though. If you are not using a saw every week premixed gas is the only way to go.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Man, you got that right!! It was also the second lightest 18" saw. The Homelite XL-12 was the lightest. Unfortunately, with it's abbreviated muffler, it was also the loudest. 10-10 Auto was a well known saw, should not be difficult to find a jug and piston on the internet. Also, there are companies that re-chrome jugs (or Nickasil if you prefer) and it is not that expensive.

Larry EC-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have six Stihl saws. It's hard to beat a Farm Boss for price and features. If you need an occasional use saw, they do have home-owner models. If you don't store fuel in the saw, you won't have any trouble with any of the major brands.
I just don't think the batter powered saws are there yet. One of the questions I always have is there going to be power available to recharge the battery when and where I need the saw?

Larry

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what kind Stihl dealer you have but I have never paid a shipping charge on anything I ordered
through my Stihl dealers.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your 10-10 is down on power, make sure the muffler isn't plugged up. 8 hrs a year it shouldn't that far gone, even if it is 40 years old.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a chainsaw that I bought new in 2016, and it still works good

I also have this other method of cutting wood that I like better. Chain saws can be so noisy.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother has a 14 year old Stihl ms 250 that he cuts 5 cords or more of wood a year with he just bought another one last fall, he was so happy with the first one this way if Stihl changes them or stops producing them he has a new one. I also have 3 stihls and and very happy with them.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since no one else mentioned them I have to put in a good word for Jonsered, I have 4 of them and they are all good saws, one of them is 46 years old. They are now made by the same company that owns Husqvarna and Poulan, they have all different sizes and quality. Dolmar is also a very good saw, whatever you have a dealer for, unless you can do your own maintenance, shouldn't need any repairs.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lithium ions in the saws are good for about 500 charges. Have 15 year old li-ion packs that are still as good as a new one.

That said I love stihl?s. Favourite saw is a tweaked ms-361, light and all kinds of power!

LarryH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

after you leave husky get an axe---we have sold stihl----echo---homelite and husqvarna

Dieselrider
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Stihl 029 farm boss and was going to get a second one as my son and I cut together some. However, the dealer recommended a Echo CS 590 Timberwolf. He said it was more saw at a cheaper (by $100) price. So, I went with the Echo and I am not sorry, It's way more saw than the Farm Boss and comes with a 20 inch bar. It definitely has more guts than the Stihl. I've had it three years now and I am not sorry.

Donald Lehman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jonsered was a good saw. But they no longer market anything but small backyard saws.

Paul from MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have what may be similar use to yours. My saw gets used 1-2 times a year. I bought a 18" Poulan Pro in the summer of 2012. It starts easilly every time and has done everthing I ever asked it to do.

All I do is always use fresh stablized gas and keep the chain sharp.

I know many look down on it, but for 1-2 days a year, it has worked out very well.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best chainsaw? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a small Echo that sat all winter & started on the 3rd pull this spring. My sons have Stihl & I am unable to start them. Jonsereth and Husky are good too if you have a close dealer. Echo has a 5 year warrantee which I used. My saw fell off the load of wood & broke the brake handle. They replaced it. The nose on the bar went bad & I got a new bar no charge. My chain oil was leaking & the dealer replaced a gromlet that had cracked also no charge. It is now out of warrantee but I haven't had any more issues. I mix my own using premium gas.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters